Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm just looking for some quick advice on what to do in the event that I lose control of my bike. It just happened to me I was going around a turn and then there was OIL all over the road. It was dark out so I didn't see it until I already hit it. The front wheel began to wiggle I guess you'd say kinda like it would go into a tank slapper. I'm wondering what the best thing to do is once you have already hit an obstacle in the road like oil, rocks, or sand. Obviously it is best to avoid them or slow down before you hit them. I'm talking about the OH **** moments here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't panic, thats the best advice i can give ha.

I guess each obstacle has its own way of how you would react. I know with oil you want to be as light on the gas as you can.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't panic, thats the best advice i can give ha.

I guess each obstacle has its own way of how you would react. I know with oil you want to be as light on the gas as you can.
I actually couldn't believe I didn't crash considering I was going about 60 around the turn. I just pulled the clutch in and stood the bike up, luckily it was at the end of the curve.

D

·
0 Posts
Don't panic and let the bike do what it wants to do. Fighting it can just make it worse a lot of the time. If the rear breaks lose because of oil or something, keep the throttle constant; don't let off unless you like high-siding, and don't hammer onto the gas 'cause that can be just as bad as letting off.

Just always remain calm. Wont always keep you out of going down, but it will make it hurt you and the bike a lot less.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Don't panic and let the bike do what it wants to do. Fighting it can just make it worse a lot of the time. If the rear breaks lose because of oil or something, keep the throttle constant; don't let off unless you like high-siding, and don't hammer onto the gas 'cause that can be just as bad as letting off.
Remember, the trottle is your friend. 95% of the time it will get you out of trouble. The other 5%, it will end all the suspense.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Never let off the throttle in that situation. If you are in a turn and something starts to give, dont panic, hold the tank with your legs, stay on throttle and ride through it.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
relax is the best word i can say. specially when a tank slapper starts, don't try to fight it, just let it work its way out, back the throttle a touch, not suddenly but smoothly

BUT

lets face it when these things happen, they happen so quick that everything you are told you should do goes out the window and you just tend to react without thinking about it. Its all down to experience and time in the seat, which will tend to determine the way you will react to the situation with even have a split second the think about it.

My personal favourite option when on track is MORE POWER lol

keep it rubber side down

·
Registered
140 Posts
To tell you what you would have to do is impossible. There are so many factors that go into a bike going out of control.
What the obstacle is
Speed
Rider Weight
Amount of Throttle
Lean angle (if any)
Road Conditions
How you're riding at the time of the obstacle.

To tell you a for sure way to handle it will probably end up worse than if you "winged" it. Just stay calm and handle the situation as it comes. I've lost the front wheel in gravel before and NOTHING anyone could have told me would have prepared me for it.

Just keep cool and calm and handle the situation smoothly. Jerky anything (throttle,brake,lean) usually doesnt end well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so just try not to sh!t my pants ha. Thanks for the advice guys. I was just curious cause I went through that oil spill last night, and the day before I was going down a nice road near where I live and there was for some reason rocks (semi big ones, not gravel) across the whole road. I guess they fell out of a truck or something but I almost fell there too. So after almost busting my as$ twice I figured I'd ask for advice, hoping it save me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Something small that i do to help prepare for bad situations is this.

I purposely lock up my rear brakes from time to time (when stopping at lights, stop signs ect..) It causes the back tire to slide to the side sometimes. The reason for this? If im ever in a position where my rear brakes lock up, i'll kno how the bike reacts to it.

Preparation meets Opportunity is luck. Whether you're prepared or not determines whether its good or bad luck IMO.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I purposely lock up my rear brakes from time to time (when stopping at lights, stop signs ect..) It causes the back tire to slide to the side sometimes. The reason for this? If im ever in a position where my rear brakes lock up, i'll kno how the bike reacts to it.

Preparation meets Opportunity is luck. Whether you're prepared or not determines whether its good or bad luck IMO.
What do you just slam on the rear brake to do this??

D

·
0 Posts
What do you just slam on the rear brake to do this??
Pretty much, but it's not really a good idea to do to learn how the bike will handle, because it will handle differently depending on your angle when you lose traction, or if the rear wheel is freely spinning or sliding.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pretty much, but it's not really a good idea to do to learn how the bike will handle, because it will handle differently depending on your angle when you lose traction, or if the rear wheel is freely spinning or sliding.
Basically. I have practiced sliding it sideways as well just to have an better idea. Thats really all it is, is a better idea of how the bike will react. Thats what i should have said. And its not really a SLAMMING thing, just some firm firm pressure!

·
Registered
5,274 Posts

did the same thing once.. on accident.. i came up to a dip to fast and didnt know it was there.. i slam the rear brake trying to slow myself down but i end up locking the rear.. i released and went thru the dip.. after that i was like wow. what just happened.. lol i tried it a few times just to get the hang of it.. its not that bad..

like you i will be ready for any straight away rear wheel lock ups

·
Registered
234 Posts
sorry off topic
R3DS2K, all the rides you got are the same as mine besides the year lol.

07 CBR600RR Red/black
01 S2000 New Formula Red
95 Accord Coupe Blue

lol funny; k back on topic

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Stay smooth. I hit some oil last night that i didn't see then when i went to throttle up a wheelie i did a burn out. nervous...

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Slam on the brakes as hard as you can and pin the throttle wide open all at the same time in 1st gear, like magic, you will go out of the tank slapper!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts