Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please... I have lost my car for my 2004 bike... for the life of me I cant find it :ponder:

I have a back up key which I was given with the bike, which have just tried and seems ok..

Now if I go to a local locksmith to get key cut do I need a chip in the key ??
As I have read some people having chips in them
Its a UK Bike

Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
My 03 doesn't have a chip in the key, but I'm in the US. I just got a generic blank cut into spares. I've never heard of a chipped key for the CBR.

Ride the bike to a locksmith and get one made. If it doesn't work then you'll know I guess. I assume getting a regular key cut is as cheap here as it is in the UK.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just back from locksmith and tried the key HISS Lights up but does not start
So I guess its a chipped key..
Will need to try and find the lost one

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ya I don't think US bikes have HISS, definitely not for my model year at least. Something I overlooked when I gave you that advice. A thousand pardons sir.

The key isn't stuck in your rear seat lock is it? I did that and was convinced that my key had fallen into a black hole.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't know how complicated the HISS system is but if you have one transponder key already (your working backup) then a good locksmith or the dealer should be able to copy it for you to another HISS key (try ebay for key blanks).

Even with no key, the dealer might be able to cut and program one for you based on the bike's VIN# (expect to pay up the a$$ for it)... that's how it is with the older Ford PATS transponder system so I'm speculating that it's likely true with HISS too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts