Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah...well...i'm an idiot. I have no idea where the key for my RR is. I wrecked it a couple weeks ago, but seem to have misplaced my key. How would i go about getting a new key anyways?

Do I call up Honda and give them my bike info along with the VIN number or something? Hopefully this isn't a complicated process (or pricey!). Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

-Splat

·
Registered
665 Posts
I only have one key and several times have thought I have lost it - only to be found later.

I'm not positive, but I think you would have to get a new ignition if you were unable to find it - atleast that's what I was told by Honda last time I thought I couldn't find it.

Goodluck bro, keep searching!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Will if you got the bike new....where's the other set of keys?
Also if you got it from the dealer....they should have recorded your key number.
so they should be able to get make you a copy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
that little metal tag with a couple of #'s that comes with the keys is the only way to get new keys with out old keys. other wise a new ignition is needed.

RLTW

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
WiZ 2/75RGR said:
that little metal tag with a couple of #'s that comes with the keys is the only way to get new keys with out old keys. other wise a new ignition is needed.

RLTW
Yea, your going to need to have that security tag if you need a new key with or without a spare key... If not... your going to have to purchase an entirely new ignition.

-Ryde

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
WiZ 2/75RGR said:

RLTW
Umm im goin to have to disagree here, that same key pin code is located on the ignition cylinder. You have to take the cylinder off the upper triple clamp to see the number because the number is stamped on the face of the cylinder that is facing the frame. Any lock smith should be able to cut a key using this code. I have done this myself twice on 2 different bikes (Honda and Suzuki) ...

·
Registered
760 Posts
i did this on my 92 ex500. not sure about the new bikes. i brought the bike up to the lock smith with my title. popped the key set, he cut a new key and that was it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's another question in relation to my original post. Since my bike is currently wrecked, i need to take it to the local shop to get an estimate for my insurance company.

will the shop need the key for the bike? will they have to start the bike up for the full crash estimate? I need some advice, because i'd hate to have to get a whole new ignition for a lost key...PLUS if insurance totals out my bike, i would have just wasted money FOR the ignition and key.

How much would the ignition and key run me ya think?

·
Registered
760 Posts
i can't see why they would need the key honestly. especially if the bike is totaled. tell them lost in the wreck. honestly, depending on the insurance company you have the adjuster may come to your house. statefarm sent one to my house when i wrecked my 954. no shop needed. i can't see the key being expensive. i don't recall the cost of mine, it was back in 96. call and ask. explain your situation. let us know what happens.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cbrmarc said:
i can't see why they would need the key honestly. especially if the bike is totaled. tell them lost in the wreck. honestly, depending on the insurance company you have the adjuster may come to your house. statefarm sent one to my house when i wrecked my 954. no shop needed. i can't see the key being expensive. i don't recall the cost of mine, it was back in 96. call and ask. explain your situation. let us know what happens.
thanks for the advice! The adjuster already came by my house, took a look at the bike and then told me to get an estimate at a shop...

guess we'll see what happens...i'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts