Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G-day,
When I was changing my battery, i dropped the battery terminal nut and socket screwdriver philips head bit, forward of the battery housing slot (towards the front of the bike). Are these going to cause me problems ratteling around loose near the engine? Or does the flat kinda bit of plastic towards the front of the bike next to the battery housing area, stop **** from going near the engine? Or will they just rattle their way out of the bike completely? I was trying to avoid removing any fairings? Any thoughts?
Cheers

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wish the title would have said, "Lost nut in tail."

It should come loose, doubt there is any need to worry about engine damage.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
get a powerful magnet it should stick to it no problems, had the same problem too but i got it out with a magnet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the same thing twice while I was disconnecting my battery. You're talking about that space under the gas tank? The first time I shook the bike and also used a skinny metal rod and it forced it out. The second time I discovered that the space is not completely sealed and pulled down on the plastic and it rolled out... If you're sitting on the ground, look at where the slot/space ends...thats where i just pulled down. Also, I read in a few other threads where others lost stuff in that space and the dealer's told them not to worry about it. Anyways hope that helped!

·
Registered
769 Posts
common problem... Get yourself someone to help you hold the bike leaning it to the right side.. right under the subframe close to the actual frame you can get you finger inbetween the battery tray and the subframe... pull it down and you lost items should drop out if they are not stuck on something

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did it too...Youll never get them out, so forget about them...As for the rattling, I havent had any and its been 2 months. I tried the magnet thing, but theres metal under there and the magnet just keeps getting stuck! I had the battery out, and fished for like a half hour before I said F*CK it and forgot about it. Just do yourself a favor and replace the bolt and forget what you lost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i was talking about the area under the gas/petrol tank. There was a little bit of a rattle when i first took it for a ride after it happened. I noticed it has stopped now, so going on what people have said it has probably rattled loose....

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Try shaking the bike upside down... hehe
What matt01 said worked for me. Just pull down that plastic bit, it'll pop right out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A trick I used very successfully was the tape trick, get something long and skinny and put a big wad of tape (sticky side out) at the end and try to "stick" the loose nut or bolt to it. I used hockey tape and got it out no problem on the first try. And that was after about an hour of screwing around with magnets and crap. You'll want a "wad" so that the tape has some give and can kind of form around the object and stick better :)

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
OveRReV said:
get a powerful magnet it should stick to it no problems, had the same problem too but i got it out with a magnet.
This will not work, believe it or not those bolts and nuts ARE NOT magnetic.

Jason

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have drop a bolt in there a time or two. Go to you local auto parts store and get a snake. It is a long tool that you push a button on one end and metal grabbers come out of the other end. You can grab the bolt/nut with it and pull it out. Trust me it has worked for me more than onces and it is in my bike tool box permanatly now.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ha ha, done that many times, and ive also lost two allen keys down there, i used the second one to rescue the first.

Get a big mate to lift the front wheel waaay up, it should roll back to finger grabbin range then. Or get one of those telescopic magnety things.

You need sticky fingers to work on a bike, thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
pull the plastic undertail back and wiggle the damn thing out.. and no, it's NOT magnetic. it's a whore, I know. go get one of those little grabber tools and try and fish it out... I did but it's just easier to let it fall out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
same thing happened to me twice. After trying to fish it out with a magnet for an hour I realized the nuts are stainless steel. They won't draw to a magnet of any type. I just ended up leaving mine in. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts