Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well heres my problem I am a dumbass and after having a beer at the local bar on friday I took the RR home and got out the cage cause if I have more than one I will not get on 2 wheels. Here in lies the problem I had a bunch more than 1 lol and now I do not have a key for the RR anymore. What can I do to get back on the road? It has been beautiful and the weather will be turning here soon and riding season will be done! Basically I need a quick solution for a key because I was a drunk idiot:tard: haha!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
You should have a little metal tag that came with the keys with some numbers on it. With those numbers the dealership should be able to order you a new key. If you don't have it, then your sh*t out of luck and probably have to have the ignition re-keyed. That or bypass it with a switch but then anyone can walk up and start it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My brother did the same thing and he called a locksmith the guy came to the house and took about and hour an half and made a key from scratch it cost him $200.00 but they made him a new key,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I bought the bike used and only recieved one key and no metal tag. Called the dealer that I got it from and they said if they would have had it I would have got it "but if i bring in a key they will cut me spares for free" wow how nice haha if I had a key I would go pay the $2 at a hardware to get it cut lol. Oh well thanks for the advice guys looks like imma be calling some locksmiths!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look on the keyswitch, there should be a number something like b32 or something near that. Your dealer should be able to cut you a key from that. At least my local dealer can or could have but there tool is broken.

·
Registered
857 Posts
try the search there are several threads on this. good luck. keep in mind if you change the ignition switich you will have to do the same for the gas cap and trunk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if I can get the gas cap off with it still being locked? If i can do this I can have a key cut today for $15 bucks cause a locksmith said he can make a replica!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Use the code on the ignition cylinder to get a new key cut at the dealership. it'll be like 5 bucks. keep in mind it's not a perfect science, so it's best to bring them cylinder to check the key when they're doing it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Use the code on the ignition cylinder to get a new key cut at the dealership. it'll be like 5 bucks. keep in mind it's not a perfect science, so it's best to bring them cylinder to check the key when they're doing it.
+1 thats what i had to do with my old bike, but there in lies the problem, if you dont know how to take out the ignition cylinder you kinda screwed. best of luck bro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok to update my situation: Getting a key made today from a locksmith and giving a customer service warning to anyone in the PA Ohio area that may deal with Andrew's Cycles in Ohio, I bought the bike from them and called them and asked them if there was anything they could do and they straight out told me no. Today the locksmith was having trouble picking the lock to get the gas cap off to make an impression so he decided to call Andrew's himself and they did a little digging and found the key code and he is able to cut me a key. The kicker: If Andrew's would have looked yesterday instead of being lazy I could have had a key cut for $15 but since they are lazy A$$Holes and I already had the locksmith out at my house it is going to cost me about $100 bucks..... Since I am a returning customer and after gear and between bike and my quad I have prob spent like $15k with them this year I guess I expected better service and will never do business with them again!!

Thanks for all the help guys and beware doing business with Andrews Cycle in Salem Ohio!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 2007, and my ignition key does not go all the way down into the gas cap cylinder. I just checked it; some portion of the cut key is not in the cylinfer when I push it all the way in and the gas cap opens.

My point is that you shouldn't get a new key imprint off the gas cap cylinder.

I had keys cut using the metal tab code at my Honda dealer. They couldn't get the stupid thing to work and messed up two of their blanks in the process of trying. The keys they cut would open the gas cap, but they wouldn't turn in the ignition.

I bought a blank from the dealer and took my original key to the local hardware. The copy worked fine on the first try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well got the keys yesterday and they wouldnt work but the locksmith was very good and he figured out the necessary adjustments and I was riding by 6 last evening. I am just really pissed that Andrews could have given me the code in the first place..... Oh well in the long run it is my own stupidity for losing the key.... and an FYI GET SPARES lol $160 for 2 keys like this is a lot worse than like $15 for spares if you already have one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes lol you definately do not want to learn the way that I did, I had to basically make an extra bike payment this month just to ride so that I could justify making my bike payment lol. I went and got more cut today haha. I now have a extra key in the glove box of my civic, and I have another 1 on the inside zipper pocket of my Jacket and even gave one to Moms to keep in a safe place lol! Buddy owns a hardware store and cut me extra keys today for $4 a piece (man that is definately cheap insurance)!

Ride Safe

·
Wheelies Do Not Stop At 12.00 o'clock try 15.00
1,099 Posts
okay i didnt read the whole thread so if im saying whateverone else has said then fook ya'll

okay.. take off your upper and fairing stay.. your ignition is held in by 2 torque bits.. you can get them out just dont strip them... take those two bolts out then get the 3 digit code.. should be a letter and 2 numbers.. take that number to a honda dealership.. if they say it doesnt match up send me a pm with the code and ill have my guy get all the info for you..

now.. if you go to a locksmith.. he will make your key off the gas cap.. woulda cost me about 175 dollars.. instead i did the route i just explained.. its easy.. key cutting is free at most honda dealerships so all you'll have to pay for is the key.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts