Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice ride with my girl yesterday. It was a good ol' sunday afternoon, so we thought we would go for a nice long ride. We rode down 64 and got on the blue ridge parkway. I've heard a lot about cops watching the area lately so we went nice and easy just enjoying everything. We stopped for a little rest and i heard sirens. I could hear the cops coming over the next hill, they must have been parked running radar. They came flying around a turn at speeds i probably wouldn't take my bike. They flew past us and kept on going, never slowing down. We took a side road from there off the parkway, not wanting to be killed be maniac police drivers. We looped around and got back to the parkway about an hour later. Heading for the interstate for a trip home we run into people flashing their lights and signalling for us to turn around. My girl is a nurse and i'm an RT so we thought we had better make sure that help was ahead. We figured there was some kind of wreck. We didn't think it was the same 1 the cops were heading to, now an hour and a half later. Traffic was stopped and help was there so we turned around and took a back road home. 3 bikes together, 1 went down on a turn. Rider and passenger. The driver was said to have died on impact, and the passenger taken to a local hospital in serious condition. It was a single vehicle accident and i'm not sure on the details, the only thing anyone came up with was some accident reinactment? ranger or something who said "speed may have been a factor" No mention of light showers on a hot afternoon that had been passing all day. Most people know the cops have been all over the parkway so i have my doubts as to how fast they were really going. I, however; was not there. Not sure what bike either.
That was about enough for me. I was ready to go home. I hate when things happen to riders for whatever reason. That wasn't enough though. Another rider went down on the same road @ 4am this morning... and didn't get back up. 1 road, 2 lives the same day, and 1 more injured. damn.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Me either! Iv been hearing of riders down Left and Right.o Must be the whole Getting a bike for summer thing. I know a lot of people who have been getting bikes and just riding them to impress their friends. They dont go Canyon Riding, dont wear proper equipment and always ride like Hooligans!. Bikes are fun but there is a lot of power in sport bikes and in the wrong hands Disaster will occure. I just got my bike and I have been thinking lately about how safe they are. I love bikes and im not going to give it up, I just need to make sure that i develope a Safety Reutine of some sort. I always ride with full Gear but in a higher speed related accident the gear is just the same as skin. I ride for fun, but i keep it safe. The Second I Realize that im riding like an Idiot ill stop riding.
Just my thoughts !, thanks for listening guys!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Everyone has to ride within their means and never more. Recklessness kills way to many friends and family members. Sometimes life is cruel. Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have noticed this too...I would chalk it up to new riding season starting up but this seems to be much more than last year at this time. I even SEE more bikes out in the canyons than I did last year.

Sorry to hear about the lost lives but its becoming an all too common occurence...

·
Registered
932 Posts
I hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed up the a$$ for it but here it goes. I'm sure the accident rates go up significantly around the releases of movies such as Biker Boyz and Torque. I'm not saying the Blue Ridge accidents have anything to do with that, I just think you get a lot of people who have never ridden, see things like the opening canyon seen from Torque, and figure, "yeah...i'm 'gunna' get a bike and shred the twisties". Or better yet...i'm 'gunna' get a bike and before I even have a license am going to do endos/stoppies and wheelies down the middle of a street :roll:.

We, as motorcylist, are always on the short end of the stick no matter who is at fault. Law enforcemnet does not much care for us and will usually approach any accident seen as the biker speeding and is therefore responsible. As a result, we have to be twice as smart as everyone else on the road. Namely, we must ultimately be responsible for their stupidity. It's a lot to shoulder, but if you love motorcycling, it something we all must do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed up the a$$ for it but here it goes. I'm sure the accident rates go up significantly around the releases of movies such as Biker Boyz and Torque. I'm not saying the Blue Ridge accidents have anything to do with that, I just think you get a lot of people who have never ridden, see things like the opening canyon seen from Torque, and figure, "yeah...i'm 'gunna' get a bike and shred the twisties". Or better yet...i'm 'gunna' get a bike and before I even have a license am going to do endos/stoppies and wheelies down the middle of a street .

We, as motorcylist, are always on the short end of the stick no matter who is at fault. Law enforcemnet does not much care for us and will usually approach any accident seen as the biker speeding and is therefore responsible. As a result, we have to be twice as smart as everyone else on the road. Namely, we must ultimately be responsible for their stupidity. It's a lot to shoulder, but if you love motorcycling, it something we all must do.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed up the a$$ for it but here it goes. I'm sure the accident rates go up significantly around the releases of movies such as Biker Boyz and Torque. I'm not saying the Blue Ridge accidents have anything to do with that, I just think you get a lot of people who have never ridden, see things like the opening canyon seen from Torque, and figure, "yeah...i'm 'gunna' get a bike and shred the twisties". Or better yet...i'm 'gunna' get a bike and before I even have a license am going to do endos/stoppies and wheelies down the middle of a street .

+1

·
Registered
526 Posts
this guy i know went down a weekago with chick on back just wearing a bikini and he was just wearing shorts, going over a 100mph. luckily no one was killed, but it tore the hell out of them and he almost lost his leg. she has no skin left and he doesn't have much either

1 - 9 of 9 Posts