Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tightened my chain today, first time ever doing this. I drove it back home, relubed the chain after cleaning it. And now i have a ticking noise when i push the bike forwards or backwards. Nothing when riding that i can tell(the exhaust is too loud to hear). I'm sure the chain too tight, but i'm hearing a very loud ticking or clicking from the gearbox area, not the chain itself. Also, i didn't start hearing the noise until after i cleaned and relubed the chain.

So, should the noise go away after i loosen the chain a bit? Or, have i damaged my gearbox? :banghead:

I would go work on it right now, but i think the shop is closed(on post shop, they have a bike lift and tools)

I searched for about half an hour for an answer, but all i found was people asking about noises when riding the bike, and no one asked if the gearbox was damaged. I'm so scared i jacked something up bad. :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
if your chain is to tight thats going to cause issues with noises. to tight or to loose will cause weird noises. should be around 1 3/8" of slack total in the middle of the swingarm

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Wow. Good advice Dblake.

OP, do you know where to measure for proper tension? If you got the chain so tight that its pulling on the input shaft of the transmission, you may have a real proplem. That's worse case. Are you certain the rear tire is straight? Don't always trust the marks on your swingarm. I'm here at Ft. Gordan too. We can get together and get it figured out if need be.

After rereading, you may have tightened so much that you destroyed the shaft bearing. That tick/ click may be the balls of the bearing grinding on each other.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow. Good advice Dblake.

OP, do you know where to measure for proper tension? If you got the chain so tight that its pulling on the input shaft of the transmission, you may have a real proplem. That's worse case. Are you certain the rear tire is straight? Don't always trust the marks on your swingarm. I'm here at Ft. Gordan too. We can get together and get it figured out if need be.
forgot to say something about the chain meshing in the middle of the sprocket. roll the tire backwards(on a stand if possible) to see if the chain is hitting in the middle and not on one side or the other.. if it hits the left side of the chain you will have to adjust the right side shorter
After that make sure that the chain is still at proper tension :)
good luck!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
forgot to say something about the chain messing in the middle of the sprocket. roll the tire backwards(on a stand) to see if the chain is hitting in the middle and not on one side or another.. if it hits the left side of the chain... then the right side needs to go in a little. after that make sure that the chain is still at proper tension :) good luck!
Do u read your posts before you hit submit? :retard:

·
Registered
136 Posts
i post on my phone in between calls at work...my bad for trying to help out.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Now now be nice... :spank:
Seriously? Read his posts. He does have a bit of an alibi for fat fingerings the phone cause you know I do it. And if its a smart phone, forget about it!

·
Registered
136 Posts
sorry...next time i post on here ill make sure someone checks over my grammar before submitting...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
OK. I tried not to be a dik but since you want to get shitty, Ill bust you out. How about you know what youre talking about.

if your chain is to tight thats going to cause issues with noises. to tight or to loose will cause weird noises. should be around 1 3/8" of slack total in the middle of the CHAIN
forgot to say something about the SPROCKET meshing in the middle of the CHAIN. roll the tire backwards(on a stand if possible) to see if the SPROCKET is hitting in the middle and not on one side or the other.. if it hits the left side of the chain you will have to adjust the right side TOWARD THE REAR. After that make sure that the chain is still at proper tension :)
good luck!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lmao, yall are funny as hell, callin each other out w/ posts & crap. :crackup::crackup:

So, i went to the car care center today, I loosened it. The noise is gone. I'm happy. I don't hear anything really when walking it around now, so i guess, erm, I HOPE i didn't do any major damage. We'll see after a few weeks or so i guess.

Bullast, are you the guy w/ the green, & black(i think) cbr?? We oughta get together some weekend & go riding, i got some other ppl i ride with here and there, but no fellow CBR riders. PM comin ur way.

Thanks for all the help guys:ciao:. Nexttime i should really read up a bit more on doing some stuff, rather than skimming over it & doing a half-assed job the first time. :retard:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts