Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine just had valve inspection and maybe 20 miles on it since then. No adjustment was made as valves where within spec. Intake were all .20 but one was .23 and was left loose. Exhaust valves were all .28.

The bike was also just fitted with a Hamaguchi full exhaust with proper gaskets. APE cam chain tensioner with proper adjustment.
I rode home about 20 miles from the shop but didn't wring it out. Everything was smooth and silky.

Next day I take it out and ride around for about 15-20 min warming up the engine with low to mid revs. I decide to get on the freeway and get a nice opening to wring out 1st, 2nd and into 3rd when it sort of hesitates up top. I head home immediately and then recorded this:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After pulling the oil and wondering if there is anything really in there to worry about I decide to replace the oil I removed. Re-adjust the APE tensioner and somehow got it to be slightly quieter. Then I went for an easy ride around the neighborhood. Once it was nice and warm and up to temperature I tried to get on it a little. The rattling was immediately apparent and seemingly getting worse.

I wasn't far but I rode home immediately. After getting off the bike I recorded this:

So now my guesses are a serious valve issue or spun bearing causing some contact somewhere? I hope to remove the valve cover tomorrow and inspect further. No more testing or riding.

Any thoughts out there? Questions that may lead to some answers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wibbly-- Thanks for your response! I took your advice and checked the flange bolts. First, visual inspection shows the all the pipes evenly mated to the block. I set the torque wrench to spec and tried all 8 bolts and they are all to spec. I had just installed the exhaust before the valve work I mentioned with brand new OEM copper gaskets on all 4 ports.

So it does not appear to be an exhaust leak. Hoping to open up the valve cover this week and get a closer inspection of what is going on. Might run the engine and pull the power to the coils one by one to see if I can narrow down a cylinder causing the noise or what.

Any other thoughts or tips to look for? :ponder:

Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts