Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been installing my Akra slip and I've run into a problem. When trying to put the lower heatshield back on I can't get the rearset to touch the frame and I crossthreaded the fame holes and messed up the bolts.

I looked at it and I really think the problem is that the midpipe isn't far enough in and the heatshield can't go in far enough.

A couple questions. 1: Do i Need the lower heatshield being that the lower cat is there, and 2 if So how can I get that heatshield in properly. It just won't sit right.

The clamp is in the proper position and I tried turning it so the bend is underneath the tail as much as possible but it just doesn't look like it's working out.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been installing my Akra slip and I've run into a problem. When trying to put the lower heatshield back on I can't get the rearset to touch the frame and I crossthreaded the fame holes and messed up the bolts.

I looked at it and I really think the problem is that the midpipe isn't far enough in and the heatshield can't go in far enough.

A couple questions. 1: Do i Need the lower heatshield being that the lower cat is there, and 2 if So how can I get that heatshield in properly. It just won't sit right.

The clamp is in the proper position and I tried turning it so the bend is underneath the tail as much as possible but it just doesn't look like it's working out.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.
Most of them just leave the heat shield off, you can always buy heat wrappings. As for me I never took off my heat shield after installing my pipe I trimmed around the shield for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yup, the heatshield isn't supposed to accommodate to the aftermarket pipe because the OEM had a slightly ovular shape that allowed it to fit, while the aftermarket is round. I ran into the same with the Jardine install. You can make it work, though. Simple reshaping of the heatshield, then before attaching the bolts for the heatshield to the frame, attach the rearset bolts first (but do not completely tighten). Make sure you slap some blue Loctite on the rearset bolts, too. Then attach the bolts for the heatshield, then tighten up the rearset bolts to torque spec. That's how I got it to work for mine.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to leave it off to be honest, but I'm worried about the heat from the cat... would there be any problems damage wise if i left it off?

by the way, thnx again guys for the help.

I have to tap the holes first and buy new bolts.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'd like to leave it off to be honest, but I'm worried about the heat from the cat... would there be any problems damage wise if i left it off?

by the way, thnx again guys for the help.

I have to tap the holes first and buy new bolts.
I never heard anyone having problems leaving it off but dont take my word for it. Like I said if you want to be safe you can always buy some heat wrappings and just apply to the sections where you think it may be affected by the heat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I left the shield off when I got my Akra slipon and never noticed any difference. There seems to be plenty of airflow down there. The lower fairing never got hot to any extreme or anything. I ended up cutting off the "bubble" part of the heat shield that covers the cat, powder coating it, and put it back on. But just because the discoloration of the cat is so ugly... purely aesthetic reasons...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think it feels cooler with the heatsheild off. Not to mention its ugly. as mentioned before you can heatwrap it all for a cooler leg if you get too warm

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea maybe i'll just leave the heatshield off and say EFF it... you know?
causing me too much grief already.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thnx a ton guys.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah i wish i didn't ever try putting mine back on cause i scratched my midpipe. oh well live and learn. I'm gonna heat wrap it one of these days anyways so its black.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The black heatwrap sounds like a good idea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts