Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about lowering my 08 600RR. I am 5'6" and when riding in stop/go traffic it gets pretty tiring because i am on my tip-toes the whole time.

what are the pros/cons of lowering the bike 2"? also, what would i need to purchase to lower the bike?

thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love being 6'4! I got the 600RR precisely because I can fit on it foot on pegs as well as flatfoot it while stopped. As far as your question goes, You need a part called a dogbone. I believe you replace the stock dogbone with a shorter one. The dogbone is part of the swingarm suspension. Also, I think you need to adjust the forks so your not pitched up as well as adjust the side stand so the bike leans the proper amount. Never done it but I think I have read enough posts about it to make it happen.

·
Registered
228 Posts
there is a write-up on here or at least was on how to do it and I don't believe its real hard. The cons are obviously you are changing the geometry of the bike but honestly I think unless you are going to track it you probably wouldn't ever notice the difference anyways although there are plenty of people here to argue that

·
Registered
753 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and can ride her's fine at stock ride height. I did lower it 1" when she first picked it up with an adjustable rear link until she got used to it, but we put it back to stock before she hit the track.

You do not want to lower it unless you absolutely have to, and, at 5'6", there is no reason you shouldn't be able to ride it the way it is.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just type in lowering link for your bike in the search and it should bring up all the posts on it. The hardest part is gonna be suspending the main frame of the bike while raising the swingarm to install the lowering link. If you have an A frame and chain hoist that would work perfect to suspend the main frame. If not a good size tree branch and a heavy duty strap would work also. Either way you may wanna pull the rear cowl off so it doesnt get damaged. Ebay has a couple of different style to choose from. The best one to go with? No clue. LOL. I checked out the soupys adjustable link and if I decide to lower my bike thats the one I would go with. Only cause the others are only adjustable from stock, 2",or 4" I belive. The soupys is fully adjustable from stock through 4".

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
you should be fine at your height unless you're all torso. i'm 5' and mine's lowered 2" and i hate it. consider yourself lucky that you're as tall as you are. i'm way jealous...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've been trying to find a 3 position lowering link for mine too, one where i can still set it back to stock height on the same link.

Everything I've seen for the CBR6RR are only two hole, so at it's highest point it's still an inch lower than stock, which is no good cause I'm 6'.
(need it slam dunked for the drag strip)

Muzzy makes a 3 hole for my buddys ZX6RR, but not mine....WTF?

I've searched and searched.....:icon_stud

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been trying to find a 3 position lowering link for mine too, one where i can still set it back to stock height on the same link.

Everything I've seen for the CBR6RR are only two hole, so at it's highest point it's still an inch lower than stock, which is no good cause I'm 6'.
(need it slam dunked for the drag strip)

Muzzy makes a 3 hole for my buddys ZX6RR, but not mine....WTF?

I've searched and searched.....:icon_stud

Check thid web site out. It adjusts from stock all the way to a 4" drop without having to remove the link.
http://http://www.soupysperformance.com/homepage.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think based on some research i'll probably just deal with being on my tip-toes at lights... i don't really want to go messing with the geometry of the bike unless it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i think based on some research i'll probably just deal with being on my tip-toes at lights... i don't really want to go messing with the geometry of the bike unless it is absolutely necessary.
You could just lean to one side and put your foot down, you know.

·
Registered
370 Posts
don't do it. your bike will handle like a boat. 5' 6" is plenty. set your preload to the lowest settings. that lowers it a tiny bit without completely ruining your handling. get some seat time that will help alot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am 5' 6" and I am doing fine on the stock height. In traffic stops, I always have one of my feet on the ground and that holds of the bike. I barely put two feet down while riding around the town. It all depends on how you ride the bike. But, if it makes you comfortable with both feet down then u can go ahead lower your bike. But, then be careful about bumps on the road if you lower your front suspension.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dont do it. Bikes arn't meant to be lowered. Learn to just get one foot down at lights or stops. I once rode with an r1 tht was lowered 2 inchs and every bump he hit sparks came flying up from behind because his exhaust was scraping on the ground.

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
sometimes i'll stop on my toes and the shift over and have one foot flat. i don't find it tiring to do both feet, straight up and down the bike isn't heavy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts