Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title say's, getting my baby lowered tomorrow. I think the brackets are from 1 to 3. I just can't remember what the Honda shop ordered. Just going to lower it an inch.

I talked to the shops tech who will be doing it for about an hour. I've read so much about how lowering it will change the bikes handling. So after the talk weighing the pros and cons of it. I pulled the trigger, plus I trust them there as I know most of them on a personal level. I will feel more comfortable riding with my feet more on the ground. Also getting the adjustable kickstand put on. Can't wait to ride her tomorrow, Its been killing me not to ride, weather wise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be FINE with a lowered bike. As long as it's done properly, it is a perfectly valid mod.
Thanks X the tech doing it has 26 years experience working on bikes. He's been with the Honda dealership where I got the bike from and having it lowered since 1993. They are a great group of people.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Raised mine back up in a matter of 10 minutes on the ground fumbling through my drawers for the right tools. Can't imagine a shop charging an hour. Wait, what am I saying? They're in the business of making profit, of course I can imagine that.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
Raised mine back up in a matter of 10 minutes on the ground fumbling through my drawers for the right tools. Can't imagine a shop charging an hour. Wait, what am I saying? They're in the business of making profit, of course I can imagine that.
Lowering it, and setting it up properly is different than "raising it up".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hour was talking to the tech over the phone. Certain I didn't get charged for that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm going to lower my bike whenever I get it.. Even though it does affect the handling, I think it is so slight you'll never notice...

Plus if you don't go to the track then you'll most likely never notice.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My inseam is like 28 inches. Then from the waste up I'm like a long back with a crack lmao.
You and I are very similar, I'm also 5'8 with same inseam. I've sat on probably 10 different 600rr's and I'd say the lowered ones felt SO much better... They felt lighter too, and more comfortable... the 09 I sat on that was completely stock height felt kinda awkward.. I mean, it felt great cause you know all cbr600rr's feel great imo (especially compared to the R6!) but it also felt heavier and wasn't confidence inspiring like the lowered 08 I sat on.

Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know how it goes!
I just got home after picking it up. Way different then when it went in to get lowered.
I find the steering is much better and the front end does not seem to pull up as much as it did. I guess lower center of gravity is why.
The only bad I can really see is. The front pegs seem to be up to high now. Making me bend my legs upward more.

I really only notice it though from taking off and getting my feet on the pegs. Once going though its fine and love the more control factor with feet now firmly planted on the ground. I think a 1 inch drop would have been the perfect spot for me.

All this is from what I experienced just riding it home. It did take curves well and keeping a straight line was no problem at all. Now its all dirty from all the rain. Time for her bath.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Please please please tell me they at least lowered the front forks to compensate for the geometry changes. If they did, great! if they didn't you should inquire about that. Stability wise without the change to the forks along with the rear lowering links, your cornering characteristics are compromised basically like that of a chopper, at a milder scale. As far as lowering the center of gravity, it's somewhat right, but somewhat not at an equal scale. Spitting each half into a 1:1 ratio, your linkage is not centrally located on the bike. By lowering the forks too, you're actually lowering all of that weight into an equal weight ratio again. Don't be surprised if the rear shock compression damping seems much softer over certain bumps and the forks seem stiffer, as if maybe you're not using as much needed travel anymore without a change.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sounds cool man. Lowered bikes r awesome dont know why people dont like em. When i flat foot my nuts are at the top of the tank but im 6 3. Post some pics when its set up. Have you thought about a extended swing arm? That always seemed badass 2 me

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did a lot of research into lowering before removing the lowering link my bike came with and putting it back to stock height. While yes you will "lower the center of gravity," that's not necessarily a good thing like it is in cars. When taking a corner on a bike you want to get weight on the inside of the corner. The higher the center of gravity the less lean angle you need to achieve getting that weight on the inside of the corner. So while lowering may be acceptable for the streets, when you get to the track it's really detrimental to performance. I've only done one track day, with the lowering link and forks lowered, have another one this Sunday with it raised back to stock height. Looking forward to finding out the difference first hand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sounds cool man. Lowered bikes r awesome dont know why people dont like em. When i flat foot my nuts are at the top of the tank but im 6 3. Post some pics when its set up. Have you thought about a extended swing arm? That always seemed badass 2 me
When I'm flat footed, my nuts are snug as a bug. Inside my buck naked boxer briefs from Duluth trading company.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did a lot of research into lowering before removing the lowering link my bike came with and putting it back to stock height. While yes you will "lower the center of gravity," that's not necessarily a good thing like it is in cars. When taking a corner on a bike you want to get weight on the inside of the corner. The higher the center of gravity the less lean angle you need to achieve getting that weight on the inside of the corner. So while lowering may be acceptable for the streets, when you get to the track it's really detrimental to performance. I've only done one track day, with the lowering link and forks lowered, have another one this Sunday with it raised back to stock height. Looking forward to finding out the difference first hand.
I'm just an average Joe, no track days for me. Just love riding and seeing where the road takes me. Please post your thoughts after your track day, and be safe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts