Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question... wats the best way to lube your chain w/o it gettin everywere.!! and which is the best kind? thanks...

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
Chain wax is good... I also use Honda stuff every once and a while.. Make sure you clean the chain first. Usually it's easiest to put it on a stand and spin the rear wheel to do it. Try to lube only the inside of the chain. No matter what you do it's going to throw lube everywhere, so you just have to clean up after the first ride. You don't need to do it more often than every 500-1000 miles though.. New chains are pretty good about that.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Lube... hehe. Hey Butthead! He said lube!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...pretty much wat i've been doin..

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got a Moose Chain Scrubber to clean it, and then you take the brushes off and there's a place to stick the straw from the lube can in, and it gets into the o-rings, and doesn't spray all over the place. But yeah, it will fling off on the first ride no matter what.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spray on a warm chain and spray on the underside of the chain, not on the top. Centripetal force will push the lube to the outside.

K

·
0 Posts
are you guys letting the lube set up, and the wiping off the excess? I use Honda Pro w/ WG and i have zero fling...

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
like this... ignore the yellow box.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Lucas 90W gear oil and a rag. Takes me about 1 minute to lube my chain and no one has shown me a chain and sprocket set that has lasted longer than mine to date. Still looking for challengers after 23k miles and I still have plenty of chain left. I just can't seem to convince you guys that chain wax is not easier and it's certainly not cheaper. I have a nice shiny quiet chain when I'm done. IMO, everyone else that's using chain wax looks like caked on crap.

K

·
0 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Lucas 90W gear oil and a rag. Takes me about 1 minute to lube my chain and no one has shown me a chain and sprocket set that has lasted longer than mine to date. Still looking for challengers after 23k miles and I still have plenty of chain left. I just can't seem to convince you guys that chain wax is not easier and it's certainly not cheaper. I have a nice shiny quiet chain when I'm done. IMO, everyone else that's using chain wax looks like caked on crap.
Probably because they lay it on thick, leave it dry, and never wipe the excess LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO!

sling fling city...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
For those who want to try 90w gear oil:

Put the bike on the rear stand and the bike in neutral. Fold a rag and put about 1-2Tbs of oil across the rag. Squeeze slightly and then hold the rag in your left hand. Standing behind the rear tire, use your left hand to hold the chain with the oil soaked rag and use your right hand to spin the tire. Coat the chain until it gets quiet. Then turn the rag to a clean portion and wipe the excess from the side of the chain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oil sounds like tha best way to go..gonna try it...good looks!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am going to try the gear oil method next time around. Thanks for the idea NRR.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There are too many opinions about how to clean the chain. I have my way, and it works fine, so I wont go into that, because Im sure someone will disagree. Do a search, and just take your pick. As far as Lube...Bel Ray Super Clean has been great for me.

·
Registered
812 Posts
gammaray said:
There are too many opinions about how to clean the chain. I have my way, and it works fine, so I wont go into that, because Im sure someone will disagree. Do a search, and just take your pick. As far as Lube...Bel Ray Super Clean has been great for me.
Now that's two of you guys push'n that crap... I'm gonna try it.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
i was using 90W gear oil before but b'coz of the rains the gear oil is quickly displaced by water so you lose a lot of it when riding so switched back to Motul Chainlube until the rainy season ends.

i have also found a new chainlube that has gotten a great result in a magazine's chainlube anti-fling & anti-corrosion test, it's Wurth High Performance Dry Chainlube, when it dries it is colorless so you won't notice it is even there & it only threw off 6% of the amount they sprayed on the chain plus it scored tops in the anti-corrosion test where wax based chainlubes scored poorly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts