Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Great write up. For us New Englanders especially, when we get that unusual nice day in Novemeber and we decide to ride, only to get cold blasted by mid afternoon. Props.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yea, no problem. always enjoy reading a good deailed writeup on something. I don't mind helping out someone else out by putting the time to snap some pics and explain what's going on in each. I've used forums for a long time to get ideas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just be careful with how much juice you draw from you bike. Sportbikes don't usually have much extra juice to spare from the generator. If you draw more than the bike can produce, you're going to shorten the life of your generator, or damage something else on the bike.

I looked at doing this once, but the current draw by the heated gloves / socks, etc, was just too great for the CBR.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just be careful with how much juice you draw from you bike. Sportbikes don't usually have much extra juice to spare from the generator. If you draw more than the bike can produce, you're going to shorten the life of your generator, or damage something else on the bike.

I looked at doing this once, but the current draw by the heated gloves / socks, etc, was just too great for the CBR.
I just looked at the service manual - this bike uses an actual alternator (as opposed to a generator, on some bikes). The spare alternator capacity is 300 watts at 5000 RPM. If you are drawing more current than that - you are going to be in trouble.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i was told that the total output is 342 watts.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I just looked at the service manual - this bike uses an actual alternator (as opposed to a generator, on some bikes). The spare alternator capacity is 300 watts at 5000 RPM. If you are drawing more current than that - you are going to be in trouble.
You have misread the manual. What it actually says is that there is a total of 342 watts available at 5000 RPM. It says nothing of the "spare" capacity, because that would be a nonsense term. One would have to strictly define the conditions for "normal operation" and the service manual makes no such attempt. (Is the battery discharged at all? Are the high-beams on (~50W/ea)? Are the turn signals flashing (~20W/ea)? Etc..) It's simplest for me to say that the battery charging circuit is more than capable of consuming all of the excess power produced by the alternator. This is almost universally true in any automotive application. But, one would hope your battery was able to hold a charge reasonably well.

Has anyone actually measured the power while operating the bike?

·
Registered
331 Posts
i just ordered some battery powered heated gloves... supposed to last 8 hours at full blast.. buddy has a pair they get toasty. Not sure why people think thats gay or un-tough, to me thats just all the more colder and all the more longer you can ride. and if you like riding guess what?? thats more rides per year...

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You have misread the manual. What it actually says is that there is a total of 342 watts available at 5000 RPM. It says nothing of the "spare" capacity, because that would be a nonsense term. One would have to strictly define the conditions for "normal operation" and the service manual makes no such attempt. (Is the battery discharged at all? Are the high-beams on (~50W/ea)? Are the turn signals flashing (~20W/ea)? Etc..) It's simplest for me to say that the battery charging circuit is more than capable of consuming all of the excess power produced by the alternator. This is almost universally true in any automotive application. But, one would hope your battery was able to hold a charge reasonably well.

Has anyone actually measured the power while operating the bike?
I know reviving the old.

I have been wanting to get a voltmeter and actually monitor the levels in various setups i.e. with the gloves turned all the way up, phone charging, and all lights on. Need to find a nice volt meter to mount on the bike.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Nice write up man. I've been contemplating heated gear. I can get by down to about 8 C but below that it's just plain unpleasant.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nice write up man. I've been contemplating heated gear. I can get by down to about 8 C but below that it's just plain unpleasant.
Heated gear is definitely the way to go if you ride in the cold often. Otherwise, it can get pretty expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Godd job and the write-up. So why would you get heated grips if you have heated gloves? So do you have any photos of the heated gloves cables? like is the jacket special or just runs a cable down the arms?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really want to do this, especially living in MN. The weather can get cold and stay cold yet not get ice or snow until December. The problem is at 32 degrees or lower it is even colder going 80+ MPH. So I was seriously looking at heated gear, yet I was weary if the CBR would be able to handle the draw of gloves, pants, socks, and jacket and sitting in ice cold temps all day.

Would a higher capacity battery work? Or am I just resigned to getting a different bike if I want to ride longer into the seasons.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Godd job and the write-up. So why would you get heated grips if you have heated gloves? So do you have any photos of the heated gloves cables? like is the jacket special or just runs a cable down the arms?
Since I don't have the heated jacket liner yet, I just use an extended y-cable that I route through my regular jacket. I'm about to get an Aerostich suit though and will grab the heated jacket liner for that.

There is no heat element on the bottom of the gloves, just on the top. I honestly don't need heated grips though. I would just get them to even out the heat distribution.

I really want to do this, especially living in MN. The weather can get cold and stay cold yet not get ice or snow until December. The problem is at 32 degrees or lower it is even colder going 80+ MPH. So I was seriously looking at heated gear, yet I was weary if the CBR would be able to handle the draw of gloves, pants, socks, and jacket and sitting in ice cold temps all day.

Would a higher capacity battery work? Or am I just resigned to getting a different bike if I want to ride longer into the seasons.
A higher capacity battery would do you no good if you are still draining it faster than charging it. If all you are running is say a 65 Watt heated jacket liner and 30 Watt gloves, you might have problems with the bike idling. Once up to speed though, you would be fine as the stator would be giving you more Amps to the battery. An onboard ammeter would tell you if you are charging or draining your battery at any given time.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I use the gloves, jacket, pants, and socks on a dual remote troller - I've never had any problems with my battery draining, even on a 200 mile ride to the coast and back.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts