Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent $3.50 at Harbor Freight on a couple strong magnets and 3M taped them to the bottom cowl. I've read up on a few folks that claim success. Anyone here tried this?

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it is indeed an induction sensor stoplight, having more inductive metal (or magnets to fool it) should do the trick.

Another trick if you are at a light that wont trigger is to put the kickstand down and make sure it s toucing the outline of the sensor. Or, ride over the outline of the sensor rather than up the middle of them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i got some on the way, so we'll find out.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Out here in TN. They passed a law a few years ago that motorcycles can go through the redlight if it can't trigger it. NO it doesn't mean you can run redlights..you have to stop like everyone else but if it doesn't change ,it is legal to proceed with caution.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Out here in TN. They passed a law a few years ago that motorcycles can go through the redlight if it can't trigger it. NO it doesn't mean you can run redlights..you have to stop like everyone else but if it doesn't change ,it is legal to proceed with caution.
We should all move to TN....How many red lights have you gone through?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Try giving your engine a rev. This supposedly increases the magnetic field emitted from your bike to interrupt the induction field and trigger the light. If that doesn't work, step off you bike, click your heels twice... and repeat "the light will go green, the light will go green, the light will go green..........

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
We should all move to TN....How many red lights have you gone through?
I will usually wait 2 light changes (the change when I get there and then a second one) if it don't change i proceed. Normally this will only happen while night riding because during the day there will most likely always be a car to roll up behind you that will get the light triggered. I can't recall a time when I had to do this during the day, but I might have once or twice.
As for how many i have went through?? I don't normally keep count but i know i have passed through well over 20-30, all being at night.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A cheap place for some strong neodium(sp?) magnets are in old hard drives. If you have any broken ones laying around. Can easily hold 10 pounds or more for one magnet. Amazingmagnets.com has some amazing magnets. Make sure to wear your gear when handling. I don't want to hear any squid stories about how you lost an eye or finger jk.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems the theory may have some cred on here. WIll let ya know at earliest ride. Stuck in the cage for a few days for work related stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Let us know how it works. At my last job I would always get stuck at this intersection trying to make a left and sometimes I would have to wait like 10 minutes for a cage to roll up and trigger the light.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah the magnets work good where I live in ND. Other wise I would never get my green arrow. I had em on the swing arm and it was not working too good. So I put them on the bottem of the farings. They work great.

·
Registered
532 Posts
yea it sux getting stuck cuz it doesnt weigh enough
never heard the magnet trick
i always just roll over it forward and back and forward and back and hope it works
im definately going to have to try a magnet here

·
Registered
917 Posts
i haven't tried the magnets yet, but i did buy a green light trigger from ebay. it is inductive metal on an m360 bullet. looks pretty cool, i can take a pic if anybody would like to see it. i installed it on my kickstand, it's not really noticable on the pic i have on her now. haven't been able to ride yet, so i'll find out pretty soon if that works. if not i'm going to try the magnet theory. even though i have gone through a bunch, I hate going through the red lights.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too much traffic around yesterday to be definitive. Was never alone at an intersection. I thought I triggered the first green of the day but another car had pulled up in the next lane a couple seconds later so just not sure.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have read that the magnet should be in motion to properly interrupt the loop sensor. You should be moving about 5mph over the sensor itself, rather than creeping up to it. I've also heard that it helps to stop at one of the sensors that are positioned farther back in the lane because it fools the sensor into thinking that there are more vehicles waiting at the light. The motion thing came from a traffic engineer or something. The lane position thing I think I just read on a forum somewhere. Haven't had opportunities to test either.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I put some mini Iridium magnets on the belly pan and it worked better most of the time. A few pesky lights still wouldnt switch , after a full cycle I just go through when its safe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts