Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got back from my first ride (6 or so trips around the neighborhood) on my first bike!! really, my first ride on any bike. so i started out really slow by power walking and then practicing my braking. i finally got up to speed and started shifting a little after easing in to it. and let me just say... i am in love. i have always wanted a bike and now i finally have one and love it, this was absolutely worth the wait!

the only problem i have is that both of my wrists are killing me but my left (clutch) wrist was the worst. do you guys have any advice on proper ways to "hold on", for lack of a better phrase, to the handlebars?

i plan out going out again tonight after my wrists stop throbbing... probably just another few trips around the neighborhood. i dont think im quite ready for the real world. haha

·
Registered
760 Posts
dont put your weight on your wrist thats what your knees are for. since its your first bike aswell you are proablly holding on to tight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The pain and hand cramps will go away after time. You are new to it so it's gonna hurt for awhile but once you get really comfortable with riding you'll notice that you don't get the pain and hand cramps anymore.

·
Registered
142 Posts
im loving the title to this thread..ha. Congrats man. Just take it really slowly at first b/c there is a lot of power that you just bought, and it can get away from you quickly. #1 is to watch out for EVERY other vehicle on the road...pretend they are all out to kill you and ride accordingly. Take an MSF course.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont put your weight on your wrist thats what your knees are for. since its your first bike aswell you are proablly holding on to tight.
yeah, you are right... i was leaning on them. when you ride do you keep your fingers caged around the clutch and brake or are they wrapped around the handles?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks for the advice Lean.in
im actually going to be trained tomorrow or monday by my cousin. he is a motorcycle cop and he actually trains all new officer who come in to ride bikes. he was supposed to come by last night and then today but i just got so sick of looking at my gorgeous bike sitting in my garage... so i watched a few videos on youtube and applied them.
but yeah, the advice you gave is almost exactly why i dont think im ready to go out in to the real world until he has trained me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah, you are right... i was leaning on them. when you ride do you keep your fingers caged around the clutch and brake or are they wrapped around the handles?

Not all the time. Just when stopping and starting. In heavy traffic you might keep 2 fingers on each hand over the brake and clutch for emergency menouvering but otherwise, like already stated, on a sportbike you dont want to put much weight on the bars. Youll get used to it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
No, don't "cage" your fingers around the clutch or the brake. Keep your hands on the grips till you need to use the clutch or brake. If you keep at it you will be conditioned to ride and it will not hurt much. Even when you get used to it, it'll still wear you out. You have to concentrate and keep your wits about you, as someone said, everyone else around is mostly what you have to worry about. Well, that and the little kid inside you. You should take the MSF course, no exceptions.

Have fun!

·
Registered
760 Posts
i have asv shortys so i always cover the clutch and brake. i think its all the years of riding dirtbikes

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice guys... just took her out for a few more spins around the block and i kept in mind what you all were saying and my wrists are feeling 100 times better now. they still hurt a little but like all of you have said, the more i am conditioned to it the more comfortable i will feel. thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Before the maiden voyage was there a christening ceremony (break a bottle of wine on the nose and name her)?
As for the hand cramps and throbbing loosen you grip and get the weight off by using your core to hold you up.
Oh and to strengthen your wrist go masturbate furiously :) j/k

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before the maiden voyage was there a christening ceremony (break a bottle of wine on the nose and name her)?
As for the hand cramps and throbbing loosen you grip and get the weight off by using your core to hold you up.
Oh and to strengthen your wrist go masturbate furiously :) j/k
lmao believe me, my usual gf (right) and my mistress or stranger (left) get plenty of work! :gun1:

no bottle breaking... figured it would be best not to...

ive been riding all over the place today and been feeling much better but man was i sore this morning!!! you are right though afro, straightening my back more helped quite a bit as well. still not quite pro but i am feeling much more confident!

·
Registered
280 Posts
You will loosen up the more you ride. I was a white knuckler too when I began. After my first 10-15 trips in my neighborhood I was wondering what kind of mistake I made buying the bike because I hurt so incredibly bad after each ride, but about 1500 miles into my experience and I learned that my hands aren't so important for the steering and control of the bike. Right now you still have the mentality that you need to hold onto the bike to stay on it, with experience that mentality will change and it will be much more comfortable.

It's your lower body, your lower back, legs etc that really need to build the strength to hold you on the bike.

Please, ride in your neighborhood until you are the CHAMP at riding in the h00d. Mess with your brakes, learn how hard you can apply them in certain circumstances, learn to use your front brake and rear brake, find their limits at cruising speeds AFTER you've mastered riding normally. This will help you a lot when it comes time to hit the main roads. So many people I've talked to learned how to hold on and thought they were okay to try the roads.

Don't let your cop buddy just drag you straight out onto the main roads. Don't let his excitement for having a new riding buddy rush you into something you aren't prepared for. Even if you feel ready, understand that you aren't. Honestly, just bomb around in your hood for a long time and it'll make the transition to real world high pressure riding a LOT easier.

I'm glad I began riding the way I did. It worked for me and it sounds like you are coordinated enough and have a good head on your shoulders to do the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
if you squeeze your knees against the tank it should help pull your back up and get some of your weight off the handlebars.

Also, you can adjust the angle of your levers with a few bolts on the bottom. That can also help a fair bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts