Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

Has anyone here made their own decals? I bought a Honda logo to put on my bike the other day. It's fine, but these things are pretty pricey. The thought of paying for more decals causes me immense pain. It makes me want to hurt myself.

Anyway, I have an '09 Tricolor and am thinking about putting some decals on it to break up the huge black space that the engine cover became for '09s plus. I was thinking about having the lower painted white, but don't want to make any permanent changes to the fairing. I'm not really a big fan of decals, but I'd like to do something about the massive black hole on the side of the bike - see photoshops below. I have a few questions about decal production and if anyone can answer them, that'd be great:

1. I have a Canon MP550 printer - mid-range at its time. It has 5 inkjets - 1 black for text and the 1 for pics/photos. Can this printer even produce a decent decal?

2. Do you know of a sticker paper to use? Vinyl would be preferred, but I have to admit I don't know much about this, even if it's possible to use it with my printer.

3. The fairing gets a little hot being right next to the engine - how will the decal hold up in terms of adhesiveness and how will the color hold up? I'm planning on using white, maybe with some red and blue.

Thanks for any help you've got to offer. Here are some rough photoshops of what it looks like now and what it might look like.

Bike as is now (added the Honda logo to an old photo using photoshop - it is without some new mods that have been put on since this photo):

With white lowers and fairing gap / frame cover - I'd like to do this, but don't want to paint my OEM fairings or spend too much money on something purely cosmetic:

Black lowers with decals - I doubt I can do this with a transparent sticker, but let me know if you know otherwise. This is a rough idea, not final, but the plan is for the decals to be positioned here:

Same decals with edges chopped off - will they stick as well like this (if anyone knows)?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, just coming back to this, anyone know of any decent decal material that could work with a high quality laser printer?

Wow paint the lowers white and leave as is. That looks great!
I'm getting some maintenance done this week and will ask about paint options - surely they'll know somebody in the city, but I don't really want to change it permanently. Also, I'm pretty sure it'll cost too much and I don't want to put too much money into purely cosmetic stuff so the chance of this happening is next to zero because HIDs would come before that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So, just coming back to this, anyone know of any decent decal material that could work with a high quality laser printer?

I'm getting some maintenance done this week and will ask about paint options - surely they'll know somebody in the city, but I don't really want to change it permanently. Also, I'm pretty sure it'll cost too much and I don't want to put too much money into purely cosmetic stuff so the chance of this happening is next to zero because HIDs would come before that.

Can't answer your printer question, but you should definitely plasti-dip that lower fairing white. Someone just did it here: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=290017

EDIT: you can also get a set of HID's for $40 from DDM, I've had mine for almost a year with no problems.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Dual-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't answer your printer question, but you should definitely plasti-dip that lower fairing white. Someone just did it here: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=290017

EDIT: you can also get a set of HID's for $40 from DDM, I've had mine for almost a year with no problems.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Dual-Motorcycle-HID-Kit
Thanks for the advice; I saw that thread, but want to keep this job quick and easy for now. I'll probably color the fairing in the future if I have the bike long enough. Might get HIDs later, but not immediately - trying to save some $ now.

If nobody knows a good decal paper, I'll probably give Avery's polyester labels a shot.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
contact the equip manufacturer and ask them for some stickers?

way easier and the stickers will last a long time.

or go to a couple of aftermarket parts dealers and ask them for stickers.....

did you not get stickers when you bought the items?

i have maybe 20 or so from various aftermarket items.

ps these are NOT decals...... they are stickers.... decals water transfer.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you not get stickers when you bought the items?

i have maybe 20 or so from various aftermarket items.

ps these are NOT decals...... they are stickers.... decals water transfer.
Right, thanks; and nope, I got nothing! I've decided to give up on this as I can't find any paper supplier that makes stickers with a glue that isn't too permanent, are resistant to heat/cold/wet and won't fade. I think I'll do the lowers white in the future instead as recommended, but I've decided to save myself the hassle and just ride for now... after I get 1 other irritating touch-up paint issue sorted.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=290463

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, coming back to this little project...

Before I start, I'd recommend you use one of our vendors to do stickers if you want high quality vinyl ones - I mean Krazy Graphics or HighzerOfLife. If you want to do it yourself, I think it's possible, but won't look as professional.

I asked around for paint estimates do do white lowers and the best I got was €350, which is about US$500. That's a crazy price for something purely cosmetic, imo - I realize good paint and labor is expensive, but it's not worth that much to me. I also considered buying used lowers and doing a spray myself, but got tired of waiting for a set to come up.

Back to the sticker idea. I looked high and low for water-resistant paper, but couldn't find any. I found transparent stuff, which was what I wanted, but it doesn't show up well on black. Then I found some glossy photo paper with a sticky back and decided to print on that. As it was just an ink jet, I decided to put a piece of transparent vinyl over it to protect it from water and a piece of the transparent stuff under to seal the photo paper inside. This was a pain and didn't look that great.

Finally, I decided to drop the glossy photo paper in water and see what happens. I usually don't ride in the wet much. To my surprise, the color didn't bleed at all so I decided to drop it in the sink for 5 minutes - I forgot about it and after 10 it was ok so I left it for 20, then over 30 minutes and the color still didn't change! The only question is how well it'll stick when the fairing heats up from the engine, but I'm going to try to put these on soon and we'll see if they stick well or not. Worst case, I'll have a nasty clean-up job.

Pics:

Paper - from a discount paper/ink shop, a little over $1/sheet, basic glossy, sticky-backed paper.

Stickers printed - must be cut out carefully:

How I plan to stick them on, more or less, with some adjustment for changes to the stickers I made, size, etc:

Ripped sticker in water after 10, 20 and over 30 minutes:

Removed from the water, sitting drying:

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Might as well post this pic here - just put up what I did today, but this pic will wrap up the endless odyssey of making my own stickers. Pic is from phone and I gave up trying to get a good focus as I was getting rained on.

They're not as good as I hoped, but better than how it all started imo. I don't think they'll last, but they came out not too bad. If anyone's thinking of doing this, I'd recommend just contacting one of our vendors in case I haven't already said so. It's a lot of work and not that cheap to do it yourself, not to mention it'll be a lot better if you get an expert to do it. Anyway, here's a pic. I'll center it above my sig for comparison.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly for what you wanted is very cheap , you could have gotten all of those decal made from me for like 20 bucks .
What he said^^^

Just as an idea if you ever want to change yours out. I just made these for another member they are all 1.5"x5"
Yeah, thanks for letting me know, guys - your work is very nice and if I do this again, I will deal with it that way - just editing this since you both replied so quickly. Note that I live in Italy so I would've had to get them shipped, then pay tax when they get here... whenever that might be - it's not knock against you, but stuff can take 2 months with Italian post and a courier costs too much for documents as far as I remember. If I lived in North America, I would've done it that way from the start. Like I said, better to contact someone like Highzer or Krazy for this work for most of us - it's a huge job for an amateur. I wanted to get the lower painted, but the costs are ridiculous.

·
Registered
184 Posts
... Note that I live in Italy so I would've had to get them shipped, then pay tax when they get here... whenever that might be - it's not knock against you, but stuff can take 2 months with Italian post and a courier costs too much for documents as far as I remember.....

If you ask the supplier, especially when it comes to small stuff like stickers if they can mark it as samples, you'll avoid paying 20 odd % import tax and duty. Most I have dealt with are willing to do this if its of lower value

Maybe it's time for me to open a store in Italy :)
Anywhere in Europe will do, it'll save us all import taxes and duty :)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's 21% sales tax here in Italy, but I think it's going up to 22% as of July. Everytime I receive a gift from my family at Christmas I have to pay this tax on whatever value they declare it as through customs. Italy is a lot stricter about this stuff than the UK from what I gather.

Basically, it arrives at the post office and I have to go and pick it up - they won't deliver if tax is due. With a courier, I need to pay the tax on delivery. The shipper is obliged to make the customs declaration with the value of the item written on it.

I've never paid extra tax on stuff shipped out of the UK as far as I can recall. Honestly, 21% tax is a lot, but on something small like the stickers I made, it's a small amount of money, but it all adds up and makes it not worth shopping internationally. If were one of you and I wanted to sell overseas, I'd set up a page on eBay or Amazon to advertise it - maybe you've already done this or maybe it just costs too much. I really don't know much about this kind of stuff except that I pay a lot if I have to deal with it, making it not worth any possible lower price for most things unless I can pick it up while traveling and bring it back on my duty free allowance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep import tax in the UK is approx 20% on everything over £18 ($25) I think it is, I used to have stuff shipped over from the USA regularly and everything was sent/labelled as gift, nominal value, however at the same time you save import taxes you do risk total loss as you can only claim on insurance for the value declared..

Something I also used to do was get stuff sent to me which I then would forward to others in Europe (extra postal costs passed on) as shipments sent/received within Europe incur no import tax based on the fact the buyer has already paid that countries tax at purchase ;)

All we actually need is agreeable companies who will send as gifts with almost no value or individuals who are willing to act as a postal address and then resend to us (costs covered of course by us) then we can get round most of the European import taxes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts