Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i have my engine covers powdercoated, pegs, gas tank, etc. the last thing left is to do the swingarm. however i am having an idea to instead of getting it powdercoated to spray paint it like many have on here. the reason i want to do this is because the powdercoating is coming off so easily on my pegs from normal wear and tear and only had them like taht for 2000 miles. my question is what does everyone recommend? to those of you that painted your swingarm yourself any good advice and how has it held up. if i do paint them i would paint the engine covers as well to match.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Your mommas breath is so bad, just have her breathe on your swingarm and it will anodise itself black. OOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!! YO MOMMA!!!

I hate MTV.

As for your question I would personally powdercoat it. Ofcoruse the powdercoat will rub off of your pegs but it will last a lot longer on your swingarm than paint would.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you think the powder coating is coming off easily, wait til you see what regular paint comes off like. I would recommend powder coating the swing arm as well. Powder coating doesn't chip so any rocks that hit your swing arm won't live a nice silver spot. Plus you're going through the trouble of removing your swingarm for this, so you might as well do it right and get it powder coated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just remember do you really want to powercoat it black in the first place?
Some time ago polishing everything was the done thing. Now the go is to powercoat, if you really want to make a change and do it right consider electroplating it.
Otherwise take a step back and leave it OEM. Just remember, to think before you act!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I gotta go devils advocate on this one. If you powdercoat it and mess it up that's a crap ton more money you will have to spend to make it look right again. Rattle can it with some care to make it look just as good and you can fix problem spots if any for dirt cheap continuously.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I painted mine flat black at 400 miles. Its now at almost 17000 and not a scratch or any peeling on it. As long as you prep/paint it right, shouldnt have a problem. My .02

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yea, I'm up to about a thousand miles since I painted mine, the only spot where the paint was messed up was when the local shop did my 520 -1 conversion and they chipped near the rear axle nut. I just sanded it out and repainted the small part. I can't complain about the paint on the swingarm!

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
do it do it do it go black if thats what you want then do it..... i am i think it looks sick

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha i was thinking of making an 07 swingarm fit an on an 05 but i am not sure if that is even possible. electroplating? isnt that the same as anodizing? if that is i sure have thought of that but no one i can think of that offers such a service because it does keep to the texture of the swingarm which i would like. i just wish honda offered a black swingarm like everyone else. o well.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have mine powdercoated. It doesn't get chips like the rearsets. I do have chips from putting it on my rear stand though. Keep some touch up paint to seal the chips so they dont grow.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I would powdercoat it. I have mine done and it's holding up fine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i want to powder coat the swing arm too. seems like a lot of work. i get to it one day, if u powdercoat it it will last longer. u can primer it if u want to...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Spy said:
I painted mine flat black at 400 miles. Its now at almost 17000 and not a scratch or any peeling on it. As long as you prep/paint it right, shouldnt have a problem. My .02
Yea, I just did mine and the key is your prep work. If you do shi**y sanding work on it and leave grease spots all over the place, expect the paint to chip off in those spots. If you do good work, and apply 6-7 light coats giving each coat more time to dry then the can says... you'll be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts