Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 and ride aggressive street and track, I don't really have any need for more power (spending $1800 for 5 hp doesn't really appeal to me much) but would like to make the bike handle as confidently as I can. Currently I am using the front tire all the way to the edges on the street (this is with me hanging off with decent form and using BT002RS's 190/55 rear). Would lighter wheels, full suspension help that much? I mean I really don't have any complaints about the current stuff but then again I've not ridden a fully sorted 600rr.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Tighter suspension settings will just annoy you from pavement irregularities (bumps, dips, cracks, tar snakes, holes, pits, etc.) More expensive suspension bits add adjustability but only in levels appreciable in race or race-like conditions.

You say you have a 190 rear? Why? This will just make turn in harder.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say you have a 190 rear? Why? This will just make turn in harder.
It's a 190/55 which keeps the turn in quick but with more availible rubber on the sides. It's somewhat of a confidence thing, now I get to the edges on the rear after the front, whereas on the stock tires (qualifiers) it didn't take much lean angle at all to get to the edge on the rear.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tighter suspension settings will just annoy you from pavement irregularities (bumps, dips, cracks, tar snakes, holes, pits, etc.) More expensive suspension bits add adjustability but only in levels appreciable in race or race-like conditions.
Yeah that was my thinking. I'm just not sure slapping ohlins on there would really give me all that much? It's not like the stock stuff is crap...well I don't think it is but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
How heavy are you? Having the stock suspension dialed in by a professional can make a big difference I have heard. Someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on the tire size choice, but I have not heard of any track riders putting a 190 series on a 600 before.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How heavy are you? Having the stock suspension dialed in by a professional can make a big difference I have heard. Someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on the tire size choice, but I have not heard of any track riders putting a 190 series on a 600 before.
I'm about 175-180 geared up.
I'm not sure where the thread is but the 180 vs high profile 190 was discussed in great depth. 190/55 was used on a lot of the team race bikes and a few track riders that made the switch loved it. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I believe you; I'm not a racer myself and don't really venture into the trackday sections.

You may simply be reaching the limits of what is an acceptable amount of risk vs reward that you can achieve on the streets. It may be time for trackdays for you.

·
Registered
326 Posts
190/55 is the standard DOT size for Dunlops (GP tires). It has been moving that way for some time now. We use them to good advantage, and no, the turn in is just as sharp.

As for suspension, don't think a well set up aftermarket suspension is going to be hard on the body. The right springs and valving will be more comfortable at moderate speeds and much more stable at higher speeds. The correctly setup suspension absorbs the bumps. A hard riding suspension isn't a good thing for high speed.

Ohlins has more than one option for upgrading the suspension of the 07-08 600RR. The 25mm cartridge option is well over $1k and should be installed/set up by an experienced suspension expert. Another version is less money but doesn't have the 25mm changes. It can be a good suspension change with more like $300-500 hit. There are other fork upgrades out there.

Find a suspension expert that will work with you when you pick your upgrades and after it is done. You should be able to go back and get help and maybe changes to your setup after the sale.

I think you are on the right track but don't be afraid of high end manufacture gear. Remember some bikes come with Ohlins gear (oem quality) from the factory.
Read around on the forums and lots of the questions you have can be answered.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been doing trackdays as well (but still enjoy riding on the street). I'm hesitant about spending all the money on aftermarket suspension unless it is a noticeble increase.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Changing you shock and fork cartridges won't make you faster. It will certainly allow you to set up the suspension for you riding style and it will give you more confidence in your suspension. Your skill will make you faster but you asked about increasing confidence.

·
Registered
352 Posts
just having the stock suspension set up by a professional makes one heck of a diffefence. yes the bike will ride rougher just cruising, but its like being on rails in the turns and you get a ton more feedback from the tires.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just having the stock suspension set up by a professional makes one heck of a diffefence. yes the bike will ride rougher just cruising, but its like being on rails in the turns and you get a ton more feedback from the tires.
Already been done. Get great tire wear at the track and the bike feels good. Just seeing if there is anything else that can be done to impove it, and I don't totally believe Ohlins is so much better than stock.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Not really sure what you are asking. If the bike feels good, and your suspension is set up, whats the problem? What isn't giving you good confidence? If you just want faster laptimes, learn the track better, re-gear specifically for the track you are on, get a gear indicator if it will help, and get someone faster to tow you around the track and show you some better lines.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not really sure what you are asking. If the bike feels good, and your suspension is set up, whats the problem? What isn't giving you good confidence? If you just want faster laptimes, learn the track better, re-gear specifically for the track you are on, get a gear indicator if it will help, and get someone faster to tow you around the track and show you some better lines.
Granted practice is the best, I'm trying to figure out what upgrades would also help.

For example, if I rode a SV and never had been on a supersport I wouldn't know what the difference in performance was, I don't know if there is anything I can do to improve the 600rr since I have not ridden one besides my own.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Granted practice is the best, I'm trying to figure out what upgrades would also help.

For example, if I rode a SV and never had been on a supersport I wouldn't know what the difference in performance was, I don't know if there is anything I can do to improve the 600rr since I have not ridden one besides my own.
Ok, I see what you're saying. If you plan to keep the bike, and do a lot of track with it, I would get suspension done. If you are staying street, no need to bother in my opinion. That way you can tune it how you like it, and you'll have a lot to work with.

I would do a 520 conversion and gear it to whatever you will be doing the most of. If you are going for land speed records dont bother, but if you want better acceleration at the cost of some top speed, the gearing change will be a big difference. Probably the best bang for the buck as far as performance goes. Every track is different though so you'll have to figure out what gearing is the best for each one.

Maybe get some good crash protection if you dont have any, IE sliders, case covers, etc. That will instill a bit of confidence in knowing that if you do go down it might end up a little less costly than going down without sliders.

Other than that, get a decent set of tires, and take your bike to the track to find out how good you and it get along.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I see what you're saying. If you plan to keep the bike, and do a lot of track with it, I would get suspension done. If you are staying street, no need to bother in my opinion. That way you can tune it how you like it, and you'll have a lot to work with.

I would do a 520 conversion and gear it to whatever you will be doing the most of. If you are going for land speed records dont bother, but if you want better acceleration at the cost of some top speed, the gearing change will be a big difference. Probably the best bang for the buck as far as performance goes. Every track is different though so you'll have to figure out what gearing is the best for each one.

Maybe get some good crash protection if you dont have any, IE sliders, case covers, etc. That will instill a bit of confidence in knowing that if you do go down it might end up a little less costly than going down without sliders.

Other than that, get a decent set of tires, and take your bike to the track to find out how good you and it get along.
Thanks! Sounds like a plan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts