Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I was wondering is it necessary to have matching tire brand and model for your front and back tires.

I have diablo for front and back right now, but back is going bald while front still got 60% left. Thinking about trying Pilot Powers, seeing that they are in the same "class" do you guys think its ok to run diablo in front and pilot powers in back? or will the different thread pattern mess things up?

Also anyone with F4i, do you run 180/55 or 190/50 in the back?

Thanks

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
It is better to have matching tires. I replaced my rear with a PP and rode with a stock dunlop until it was time to replace it. I was scared of low siding it all the time. Many people commented on it too about how it probably rode like crap too. So I would say as long as you arn't pushing it too hard you will be fine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
with cbr...i have a buddy who's running pp rears and stock 208 fronts. he doesn't push it too hard. it really depends on who you ask. some say it doesn't matter, some say it does. i have no personal experience...just what i've heard. as far as the f4i, i know a someone that has one and he uses 180...i think that's standard for the f4i.

C

·
0 Posts
I would go a fresh set of PP's. Don't risk it. If you push your bike at all then fork out the dough.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
+1
get a fresh set of matching fr/rr tires...whatever the brand may be.
the way i look at it is...youll probably be fine with the mix. but youll
always have this questionable feeling of the mixed tires. youll be
worrying about it everytime you go for a ride. yah youll be conservative right?
but then youll have those days when curiousity and adrenaline kick in and
you ride it like you stole it and forget what set up you had.
why risk it?!?! jus scrounge up the loot and get a matching fresh set.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tires matter. However, between brands you will be fine (ie, dunlop front, dunlop rear). You can usually run just about any combination of same purpose tire (D208 rear, D218 front).

But when switching between brands, and it sounds like you are. It is higly discouraged, you will most likely see a difference in handling.

Remember that different tires will proform differently with different suspension setups. This is why you local curb monkeys will tell you "Dunlops Suck, You need Race gas, etc" Dunlop Tires are crap on a stock setup for me, but once I get my suspension dialed in, I am like glue. However with the stock setup the Pilot Powers are good to me...

Do you know how to set up your suspension? Do you have a local shop who can do it for you? IMO, an intelligent rider would check his suspension settings when switchnig out tires. I also know that there is a suspension checksheet around here somwhere.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The difference in grip between front and rear is what you need to pay attention to. When the differential between the two becomes too great you stand a chance of an accident. I wouldn't recommend running a Dunlop Qualifier with an older 208/218. The grip between the two tires is too great.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have a stock Dunlop on the front and a Michelin PP on the rear. Been running this way for about 300 miles. I don't push my baby all that hard so I'll be fine with that combo. I do feel a big difference in the grip of the stock rear and the PP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts