Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I have recently sat back down on a sport bike. I was away from them for many years. I was on a Harley during my time away and consider myself an expert rider on that type of MC. As anyone who has ridden the two know though, they are completely different machines.

My question is this, is there any training out there that would go beyond the basics (this is a clutch, this is emergency braking... etc), and teach the finer points of riding a sport bike. After taking the Harley-Davidson motor officer's course (Police Course), I did not think that I would ever feel the need to go to a training course again, but times change. I would love to find a course that makes me feel as totally comfortable on this bike as I did my HD. We really rode the heck out of those bikes for two solid weeks. The basics of that course were: Slow Speed Maneuvering, Emergency Braking and Maneuvering at high speed, as well as a the basics of body position and the MC dynamics.

I found a "track time" course on the Wisconsin / Illinois border (Blackhawk Farms). Their website states that they cater to all skill ranges, but was hoping to hear from someone who has done this, or can recommend something in the Chicago area.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Any race school will help to make you feel very at home on these bikes. And dont think that because it is on a track that it wont help your street riding, because nothing could be further from the truth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zza_mud,
I appreciate the info on the website and the help you offered up getting me on over there; however, that place is like a ghost town brother. I was browsing through the forum and mine is like the most recent post in several days. I am not sure if it is monitored very often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any race school will help to make you feel very at home on these bikes. And dont think that because it is on a track that it wont help your street riding, because nothing could be further from the truth.
SCORE! that is exactly what I am looking for. Are there any in my area that are reputable that you know of? I would absolutely love to do that. And trust me, I do not discount training in any form. MC skills gained are MC skills earned. I would much rather get them on the sterile environment of a track with an accomplished staff rather than on the street where Oh So Many things can and usually do go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
SCORE! that is exactly what I am looking for. Are there any in my area that are reputable that you know of? I would absolutely love to do that. And trust me, I do not discount training in any form. MC skills gained are MC skills earned. I would much rather get them on the sterile environment of a track with an accomplished staff rather than on the street where Oh So Many things can and usually do go wrong.
Where are you from?

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I suggest hitting up this forum

http://www.wisconsinsportbikes.net/

Most of the control riders and instructors from Blackhawk Farms frequent that site.

You'll probably get a better answer about Blackhawk there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link. I went to that website. It is pretty bland. No information about any classes. I will give them a call to see if there are any on the horizon. Thx again.

·
One Nut Racer
1,665 Posts
zza_mud,
I appreciate the info on the website and the help you offered up getting me on over there; however, that place is like a ghost town brother. I was browsing through the forum and mine is like the most recent post in several days. I am not sure if it is monitored very often.
yeah i use to spend more time there then here but i live to far away from them anymore and i hear more and more of peeps not hanging out on there.
hell i havent even loggd in there for over a year

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is South Haven, MI too far? They have a CLASS riding school scheduled for June 19 & 20. Reg Pridmore is the main guy, and he's Jason's dad. They both are accomplished racers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you going to raise it back up to stock height?
Short answer, no. I did lower the rear via a new lowering link. Based on the comments though, I decided to hold off on the front forks, so it is still stock height. I am assuming you are asking the question becuase you dont think it would be a good idea with a lowered bike?

I would like to restate... I am not planning on racing this bike. I am looking for a school that will increase my comfort level on the machine. I have taken many courses over the years, MSF (beginner & advanced), ABATE (beginner & advanced), and I was a safety for the military course. Basically, I am not the new guy that bought a bike and now needs to learn to ride it... I just want to put a fine edge on some skills that I already have, and learn some new ones to be a safer rider. If the racing schools are where I am going to get them, then I am willing and excited about going.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is South Haven, MI too far? They have a CLASS riding school scheduled for June 19 & 20. Reg Pridmore is the main guy, and he's Jason's dad. They both are accomplished racers.
I am checking this out. Thanks for the link. That sounds like a great time.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
....... I did lower the rear .....I decided to hold off on the front forks.........
Uh....the bike needs to have a balanced geometry
As I understand your bike is now tail low, nose high

It probably handles pretty crappy this way
Put it back to stock

Take it to a professional suspension guy & have him do a set up for you
THey will sometimes have a suspension expert at the track days that will do a set up for a reasonable fee ($30-$50)

Also....The bike needs to be set up for your weight.
Depending on how much you weigh, you might need to have it re-sprung & the valving re-shimmed to match the spring rates (both forks & shock)
This is very important for good bike handling
The suspension guy will know if you need that or not based on the rider sag settings

That suspension stuff is still voodoo magic to me....that's why I let a professional take care of it for me....it's well worth the money
Having the bike's suspension set up for you makes a HUGE difference in bike handling and your confidence riding the machine !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,
First off, I want to thank everyone who has taken some time out of their days to help me with choosing a riding school. I have just enrolled for both days at the CLASS academy in June in Michigan.

I spoke with both Reg and Gigi. Reg spoke with me at length about the setup on my bike after I expressed concern after reading the posts on here. First, I want you all to know that your opinions did not fall on deaf ears. Reg and I came to this understanding: On day one, I will ride as the bike sits today (with the 2" lowering link). I will change it at the end of day one back to the stock configuration and ride day two. He assures me that I will like the handling and performance of the bike better (which most of you have already hammered home.) After that, I may shell out the money to have my suspension professionally tuned.

I am overall just looking for the best riding experience during daily driving. If that means I tip toe, or go one foot down, then maybe that is the way I ride it. The proof is in the pooding (sp?) so to speak, so I will report the results after day two on the track. Thanks again to all who commented and offered up suggestions.

Robert

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ok,
Reg and I came to this understanding: On day one, I will ride as the bike sits today (with the 2" lowering link). I will change it at the end of day one back to the stock configuration and ride day two. He assures me that I will like the handling and performance of the bike better (which most of you have already hammered home.)

Robert
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you and Reg did not "come to an understanding." He humored you. There's a difference. Let's review your situation. A dozen anonymous guys on the internet have suggested that you put the bike back to stock. You don't really know them, so I can understand you being a little reluctant to take their advice. Now, a freaking AMA superbike champion has given you the same advice. Sometimes it's better to just take a step back and say, "I was wrong. You were right." It's hard to do. My wife can't do it either. She'll argue a bad postion forever instead of saying she is wrong. Weird.

I have to give you kudos for signing up for the school. I think it's gonna be a ton of fun, and a real eye-opener for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts