Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

medical experience, anyone?

1K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  600rr-ryder 
#1 ·
Last year i got rearended and thrown off at about 35 mph(not on my 600rr). I had a few scrapes, many of which are now gone. The ones that are not gone are the ones on my knee and one on my ankle. Yes, I was the one who was just getting gas less than a mile from my house and ofcourse not wearing my usual gear except for my gloves and helment.

I did not see a doctor cause i was in denial about getting hit and thought it was no big deal just like I've gotten scrapped up on my mountain bike. Anyway, I usually just clean and leave it alone. This time I "wet healed" my wounds. over a year later, I have three dark scars. The one on my ankle had no chance but the knee scars I thought would go away by now. I think their here to stay.

What should i have done or what could i have done differently to prevent the dark scar tissue from forming. I know I should of seen a doctor. What could he have done to prevent that.

Thanx everyone.

#2 ·
eh i'm prolly gonna get the same thign as you across my knee from a 50ish mph highside/roll. It's been healing for gogin on 2 months now, still nto closed up, getting close though. However the pink.purple scar tissue is still there, it's gonan take a long time to go away. I went to the doctor though.

#3 ·
I think exposure to the sun has something to do with scars turning a darker color in their early stages. My older brother had shoulder surgery after dislocating it a couple times. The doctor told him to put sunscreen on the scar to keep it from turning purple or "dark" since he was a lifeguard at the time. That's all I got.

#6 ·
IrishDawg said:
eh i'm prolly gonna get the same thign as you across my knee from a 50ish mph highside/roll. It's been healing for gogin on 2 months now, still nto closed up, getting close though. However the pink.purple scar tissue is still there, it's gonan take a long time to go away. I went to the doctor though.

How did he tell you to treat it?

#10 ·
blackstripes said:
greenfugu said:
dunt worry bro samething but i flew off at 130 n i ACtually ended up air lifted to teh hospital. doc will do s**t i have scars n its DAR like purple.. haha looks crazy but. hey at least u didnt have MEDICAL bills to pay.
:wtf: Is English your second language??
That's what I'm wondering. Maybe still on the meds from his accident?

Joecey, you have ugly knees anyways, so don't wear shorts and scare the ladies. I'm just kidding man. You can get skin lightener from the drug stores like Rite Aide or Sav-on. It's going to be a long time like a year or so. It's always going to remain darker than your skin. From what I remember, you're pretty light skinned.

#13 ·
i highsided this summer and got some road rash (same old story. wasn't wearing what i should have b/c i was close to home). anyways, i think that the sun did have an effect on the way the scars ended up. i am a lifeguard and got lots of sun. my doctor recomended i use zinc oxide not only to protect from sun burn but also to "reduce" scarring. it worked for me. the patches of rash on my forearm that were covered religiously healed up nicely (which is important b/c i'm a girl and it's not "cool" for girls to have battle scars :( ). also, if you have road rash, do not use neosporin. neosporin is great for minor things, but because of the nature of the road rash it is likely that your body will develope an allergy to it (disturbing the healing process). best thing to do is clean it up with hydorgen peroxide, make sure you get gravel and dirt outta there (hurts like a mofo), get an antibiotic ointment and apply both the antibiotic and zinc bout 3 times a day. moral of the story is, road rash is no fun.

#15 ·
scarring comes from an incision that penetrates deep into layers of skin... obviously! here's the thing, scarring is going to happen. you can't really "prevent" scarring, but you can help lessen the scars by putting lotion on the wound after the scabs have fallen off. and don't pick at the wounds! picking at the wound slows down the healing process - let them heal!

#17 ·
also, if you have road rash, do not use neosporin. neosporin is great for minor things, but because of the nature of the road rash it is likely that your body will develope an allergy to it (disturbing the healing process).

Thats what i was afraid of. I was putting that on right after and all the way through to the end of the healing process. I think i've had better luck with just cleaning it and leaving it alone. Wet healing isnt the way to go atleast for me.

Thanx

I cant tatoo everytime I get a scar. i'de be covered by now.

#19 ·
What should i have done or what could i have done differently to prevent the dark scar tissue from forming.
My family always put Coco-Butter on my scars. You can by a stick or jar of coco-butter at your local drug store. Smells like coconut? It lightened my scars maybe it will work for you???

#23 ·
I've been using Mederma lotion on this one scar i have, and it has really lightened up a lot. I'd recommend you try that. You can get it anywhere in by the lotions aisle.

You have to put it on often, about 3 or 4 times a day, but you should see improvement within a few weeks.

#24 ·
What I always do for my patients (and for myself) is to apply a thin layer of Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% on the road rash after a good cleansing. Bandage it up real nicely when you know you are going to be active. And when you're not, open up the bandaging to let the wound get some air. This cream is usually used for burns, but I've found out that it's good to use for minor abrasions (road rash) & minor lacerations. What I've noticed on my patients are less scarring & less skin discoloration. This cream can be bought at most pharmacies. A little expensive but effective. The generic of this cream is called Silvadene Cream. Hope this info helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.