Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've recently quit my job because I wanted to just devote my time in school. My major is mechanical engineering. Because I just quit my job, I've also lost my medical insurance because my employer was paying for it while being employed. Now that I don't have medical insurance, I can't ride my bike because I don't want to take a chance. It's too risky for me. I've been shopping around for medical insurance and the cheapest I've found is $81.00 per month thru TRICARE Reserve (I qualified for this program because I'm a Reserve Military that's been activated to a major contingency operation (Iraq)). Is there any medical insurance out there that is better or cheaper? Right now, I'm trying to look at all my options so I can decide which one to get. I want to keep riding my bike and don't want to give it up. What can you recommend I should do or get. Thanks.

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
medical insurance? whats that?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Blue Cross PPO

·
Team Green recrueting machine
614 Posts
you do know that at certain circumstances, being a full time student you can be covered with medical insurance right at very little or next to nothng right?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
samsonskeg said:
you do know that at certain circumstances, being a full time student you can be covered with medical insurance right at very little or next to nothng right?
No, I didn't know that. The student plan HMSA (Blue Cross) quoted me was over $400 for the semester. That is still more expensive than the one I am considering right now. For all the other companies, to be enrolled in the student plan, you have to be a student under 25 years old. I'm 27, therefore, I'm not qualified.

·
Team Green recrueting machine
614 Posts
Im sure you can put that $400 per semester in as part of the student loan?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
samsonskeg said:
Im sure you can put that $400 per semester in as part of the student loan?
Whenever possible, I try to avoid getting a loan. I'm debt-free right now, so I want to keep it that way as long as possible. I'm paying school out of my pocket because I don't want to get a loan.

·
Registered
120 Posts
what about FASFA? federal aide? thats free money, you dont have to pay that back and w/ being over 25 and going to school they might give you a little more. Plus what ever is left over you get to put in your pocket.
They dont offer health insurance through the reserves? I pay $53.00 every 2 weeks for mine through my work and another $9.00 every 2 weeks for dental so the $81.00 a month isnt too bad but how is the out of pocket cost and deductables?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would go to your school and just ask them if they have a Health insurance plan for students. Most schools do. How old are you? I think if you are under a certain age and in school full time you can be on your parents insurance. There are many stipulations to this but it may be worth looking in to as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FAFSA is actually a good way to go. The deadline is coming up quick though. Since you are over 25 you don't have to include your parents income which will help a lot. The total amount you get depends on the type of school you go to (City, State, etc.). You will receive 2 checks one 8 weeks into the semester and the other 8 weeks before the semester ends. And the good news is, the money doesn't have to be put towards school.

I used mine as a down payment on my bike :biggrin:

·
Registered
120 Posts
yeah i bought the stereo and my CRX w/ my checks to comepete in car stereo competitions :) lol now im sponsored so i dont need to do that anymore. but hurry up and get you application in to FASFA.

K

·
0 Posts
erw43 said:
What does having health insurance have to do with riding your bike? When you insure your bike you get medical coverage on it. So if you are hospitalized due to something from the bike (accident) your medical bills are covered, right?
that's not quite the way that coverage works... the Liability is for other people, not you so if you're involved in a single veichle accident, the coverage is worthless. if anouther car is involved, their medical bills are covered. if you have a passanger, their medical bill is covered.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Is that basic liability? Or does that count for full coverage too?

Knightslugger said:
that's not quite the way that coverage works... the Liability is for other people, not you so if you're involved in a single veichle accident, the coverage is worthless. if anouther car is involved, their medical bills are covered. if you have a passanger, their medical bill is covered.

K

·
0 Posts
Full coverage has some medical coverage, but it's limitations i am not 100% sure on. I THINK it covers you up to a certain BS amount... like $1000 unless otherwise noted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Full coverage has some medical coverage, but it's limitations i am not 100% sure on. I THINK it covers you up to a certain BS amount... like $1000 unless otherwise noted.
Yeah, I would think that full coverage on a bike or car would mean that the driver is covered even if no other vehicle is involved in the accident. I would hope so, because I also do not have seperate health insurance.

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
small-g said:
Health Insurance. Health plan.
it was a joke...i don't have any.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts