Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I've been pondering this for a long time and thought I would get your opinion. So why doesn't MB have a Manual transmission. BMW does and Audi blah blah blah.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I THINK it has to do with MB wanting to be perceived as a PureLuxury auto maker whereas beemers and audi's are more of a SportLuxury. Almost as if MB wants you to forget your driving a car with all the luxury amenities with quieter interiors, softer steering, nearly undetectable road feel, silky smooth tranny, etc, etc., yet beemer seems to be all about the driving experience. Hence the better road feel, more responsive wheel, slightly stiffer suspension, more aggressive tires, brakes, etc, etc. It'd be pointless to add a manual to a MB since all those sport drivers are going to buy the beemers anyways. That said, do the AMG's or Brabus's not offer Manuals?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've owned MB, BMW, and Audi sport sedans, and MB is a different type of car. In contrast, the M3 is more "track ready" than the MB AMG competition, but the MB is formidable street car..for what it is. Audi and BMW are just more driver oriented. My S4, which is a 6spd, seems like a variation of the two (MB and BMW) as far as feel goes. It's not quite as track ready as an M3, yet not as civil as an AMG. On a side note, the "no manual tranny" thing is just for the USA. Overseas, you can get almost all the same models in a manual tranny. The AMG's are a bit different as they're very specific about what can/can't go with those high performance motors. Oh, and the future looks like all 3 car makers will be doing sequential boxes anyway, so the manual tranny will be phased out all together I'm sure. BMW already implements its SMG boxes in the current M cars, and Audi is launching its DSG (which is supposed to be FAR superior to ANY sequential box ever made) next year, so I expect MB to follow suit very soon with their AMG performance division.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts