Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
its a 1993 honda cbr 600 f2. its local, i might check it out when it gets warmer, but the owner and i have been talking back and forth briefly. What do yall think? My friend showed this to me, i think it would be a good starter bike, since its been "weathered". its right around my price range too.

heres the ad:
http://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/1632765738.html

For Sale: 1993 Honda CBR 600 F2 with a Dynojet Carburetor Jet Kits, Carbon fiber side mirrors and Carbon fiber covered Yoshimura R&D Exhaust also a Lockhart racing leather tank cover. My bike has been sitting for almost two years cause I was in afghanistan and when I can back the sunny weather was all over with. Bike has been garage kept. bike has a few scratches from my son knocking it over twice, scratches can be seen in the pictures. Bike needs a tune up and new tires, Odometer reads 23382. Looking to get 2,000 or best offer.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
Great looking F2 reminds me of my first CBR here is my 94 F2
that i had for almost 7 years and sold it with 52k miles and
still ran great

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's kind of pricey for a F2... throw in a little more money and you will get something way more recent. I would try to get something with electronic injection like a F4i or a GSX-R (both 2001).

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i would do it if you could get it for like 1500 then it would be ready to ride for 2k

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats one nice bike moeman!

i would do it if you could get it for like 1500 then it would be ready to ride for 2k

ya i hear ya im gona try to get it for around 1500 at most if i make a move. i can get Michelin tires really cheap(know i guy that works in the SC plant). i wanted to try to get a FI bike, but i dont have the funds for it and this is something i wont feel as bad about dropping vs. a newer/nicer bike. i dont really wanna worry about rejetting the carbs, but it shouldnt be too bad of a tuneup.

come on posting yall its good to hear everyone's opinions.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
You do not need to rejet the carbs just change the oil , flush the radiator , check the air filter change it if need be and get new spark plugs and you should be good to rock and roll i am glad you liked my F2 she was a great bike we sure had a blast together

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I was looking for a bike I was in the same situation as you are. At first I wanted a '93 Ninja or something like that. After verifications, since it was a "sport" bike my insurance quotation and registration fees were the same as any sport 600cc. So it's cool to pay around 2k for bike, but paying the same amount for insurance and registration (1400$ this year for a sport bike, yeah government got crazy over us lately) is stupid. So I threw in more money at first, got a 600RR and now I pay the same price as any sport 600cc I would have bought at first. Reflexion: that was the best move I have done :D

Verify with your insurance company and if there is a difference in the registration fee for a '93 vs newer bike.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
save up some more and get a 600rr for sure..wont take that long to save up 2k ..jus cut back on some other things. but dang Moes bike looked great..but to get the other one lookin like that would cost more then its worth!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Kinda pricy for a 17 year old bike, you can prob find an one made in this century for the same price :crackup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah you could probably do better for that price but you have to admit: $2k for a sportbike is pretty darned good regardless of the year.

I mean really. It's damned hard to find a Kawasaki 250 Ninja (any year) for $2k. I'd say you found a gem. If you're looking for a 'starter' bike I'd say you found it.

It's carbureted. So what. So is my Honda 1983 ACT125 3 wheeler. Guess what. It's still the best starting vehicle I own. (not even joking...wish I was) It kicks off faster than my '07 CBR more often than not, regardless of the temp. I ride that thing in the summer WAY more than I care to admit. 32 year olds aren't supposed to ride dinky little 3 wheelers are we? Carbs are not exactly stone age tech, nor are they really all that hard to maintain.

The tuneup that the owner recommended likely won't amount to much. Fresh fuel through the carbs, spark plugs, an air filter, and an oil change would be about it. You're probably looking at a whopping $60 for all of it and if you do the work yourself it's probably going to take you all afternoon to do. That's if you drink a 6 pack while you do it. Otherwise it'd likely take you about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Worst case, the carbs need rebuilt (if they're leaking). That isn't exactly rocket science either. Nor is it horridly expensive.

Get the fluids changed and RIDE the piss out of it. It'll likely last you many years of heavy use. (I'd bet a nickel that it'll get significantly better MPG than anyone on the fourm here too)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys are probably right that i can find a nicer bike, hopefully i can work the price down stating that with the maintenance,damage to the bike, etc. that should take the price down. ill just say ive seen a couple bikes, which i have, around the same price that didnt need a tuneup, tires, and there were no scrapes from being knocked over. hopefully i can get him under 1500.

Yeah you could probably do better for that price but you have to admit: $2k for a sportbike is pretty darned good regardless of the year.

I mean really. It's damned hard to find a Kawasaki 250 Ninja (any year) for $2k. I'd say you found a gem. If you're looking for a 'starter' bike I'd say you found it.

It's carbureted. So what. So is my Honda 1983 ACT125 3 wheeler. Guess what. It's still the best starting vehicle I own. (not even joking...wish I was) It kicks off faster than my '07 CBR more often than not, regardless of the temp. I ride that thing in the summer WAY more than I care to admit. 32 year olds aren't supposed to ride dinky little 3 wheelers are we? Carbs are not exactly stone age tech, nor are they really all that hard to maintain.

The tuneup that the owner recommended likely won't amount to much. Fresh fuel through the carbs, spark plugs, an air filter, and an oil change would be about it. You're probably looking at a whopping $60 for all of it and if you do the work yourself it's probably going to take you all afternoon to do. That's if you drink a 6 pack while you do it. Otherwise it'd likely take you about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Worst case, the carbs need rebuilt (if they're leaking). That isn't exactly rocket science either. Nor is it horridly expensive.

Get the fluids changed and RIDE the piss out of it. It'll likely last you many years of heavy use. (I'd bet a nickel that it'll get significantly better MPG than anyone on the fourm here too)
you sir pretty much stated what i was looking for and why. i know the price range i can get down, maintenance wont be hard, and its a great learner's bike. im sure if i put a tad bit of cash in it to make it really nice, i can turn it around a few years down the road and make a profit anyway from people who i know that can give me great discounts on parts/fab/cosmetic work. the main reason im looking for an older bike is to learn on it, which this fits, and a cheap bike because one of my top priorities besides getting a bike after selling my sled to make up for some speed is to lift my truck and such.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That would be an awesome starter. Carbs aren't near as finicky as f.i. They are bullet proof...AND they qualify for the geezer racing class!

Seriously, properly setup you'll have an amazing time on that thing. When your ready to step up you will sell it for what you paid easily.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yeah ill check with my insurance too. forgot to add that. i wouldnt mind learning how to run a track, ive always been hardcore into racing, even if it is with 4 wheels on dirt and asphalt.

ive been pretty much seeing this bike all blacked out with red painted logos(in place of decals), hid's, the frame sliders, and it would pretty much be all done after the tuneup.

keep the suggestions coming theres always something i havent heard before.

·
Registered
389 Posts
$2k is a good deal for a bike that runs very well.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
My F2 that i posted a picture of was not in the best shape when i got my hands on it
with 8 k miles i gave it all the attention and love i had, enjoyed riding the piss out of it
and after 52k miles and seven years of ownership i sold it for a few dollars more than
what i paid for it did i regain evrey cent of what i spent on it no i did not but i still made
400.00 more than what it cost me that was not so bad after all

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
I think you should go for it at that price, and take good care of it.

Off topic, do you have more pictures of your Truck, and what model/mods you got?

I wanted to build a Silverado, since i'm dumping my Tacoma.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts