Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What ever its supposed to be....
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second trackday at Mt. Tremblant was cut short by problems with my bike. I've searched past posts and think I've come up with the answer, I think, but figured I'd put a post up anyway. After just getting in the blue group :bounce:, the next session out I noticed the oil light(actually MIL) was on steady, and thought it was a problem with the oil. After checking and adding a bit of oil, and the sensor, as well as the coolant (although it was not running hot), everything seemed okay so I went back out. The light was still on and then the bike also started to bog down around 13000 rpm and the FI symbol was lit. I get back to the paddock and start digging thru the service manual. Then remember, its not just an oil light but also the malfunction indicator light. But it is not blinking, just on steady. Well it turns out that according to the manual the mil only works with the kickstand down and the start/stop switch off, which I have both jumpered. So this morning I get everything straight(not quite how the manual says) and am getting eight blinks; TP sensor! Although I do not have the test harness to check the output voltage of the sensor, I'm pretty sure its bad. I guess I could splice into the harness to test, but am not sure if I want to do that yet. So it looks like its time for a new throttle body assembly. :sad11:

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Not a good sign Gman. I hope it's just a loose wire. Otherwise, you're going to be out some big $$$.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
A bad TPS (throttle position sensor) would explain why the motor is bogging at 13k RPMs. A faulty sensor is not communicating with the ECU correctly, therefor the ECU isn't creating the correct air/fuel ratio at that RPM because it's getting a bogus reading on where your throttle butterflies are positioned (air flow). If you're comfortable replacing the TPS on your own, the part isn't going to cost you much. According to ronayers.com however, you can't just buy the TPS, you have to buy a whole new T/B assembly (~$530+) like you were saying! I don't believe it tho, there MUST be a way to buy a TPS unit alone ...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Let us know what you can come up with. I don't think the TPS replacement is the problem. It would be resyncing the TPS to the TB's that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Rugh Ro, Raggy... Sounds over my head G-man. I know how much fun you had last time taking off the TB. Lemme know how this turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts