Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, look, I've asked before, but, not much help. I have almost 8900 miles on my 05. All I've changed up to now is the oil. My buddy has an 05 as well. I started out last season riding hard MOST of the time, and getting around 180 miles to the fill up. Now, I ride hard ONCE in a while, and am getting 119 to this last tank. What the **** HAPPENED?????????? I am heavier than he is by 70 pounds or so. But, he get's the mileage I USED to!!! And he only has around 5k miles on his! Thanks for the input!! PLEASE help!!!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
i get about 145 per tank.. that's dry.. i never go that far though.. my light starts to blink around 110 which means, i have another 35 after that.. a lot of people's miles vary depending on 2 main factors. 1) how much they fill into the tank. if you stop once the pump clicks, then you are lacking about another gallon. 2) whenever this question is asked, some people state when the light blink and don't count the reserve while others do.. you have to be real specific on how you define miles per tank. it's a lot better to as mpg. i get around 35 miles per gallon. hope that helps, but i don't know how you got 180 miles to the tank unless you shifted at 3k on every gear.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Are you sure you got 180 miles per tank and now
you are only getting 118 cause i think your
calculations are off my light comes on at 114
and i get 35 out of reserve so on a full tank
with moderate riding i get 149 miles
You got to also take in considration
bikes modifications ( exhaust, PCIII ) & riding habits

·
Registered
796 Posts
my tire pressure was low for a while and was giving me bad gas mileage. check your pressure maybe.

If i push all the way i can probably get to 180. But then im pushing my bike to the gas station. Thats with filling the tank to the brim by holding in the nozzle, and keeping the bike upright.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fill up to the gas cap lid EVERY time. And yes, at the VERY least, I was getting 160 to the tank. I can't say I would run it DRY, but at the same time, it wasn't when the light VERY first started blinking either. It would blink for probably 15-20 miles. I don't know, my buddy still is getting at least 160. I'm pretty confused. I live in Kansas, and it's pretty dusty here. That's what made me think the air filter maybe!?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i get about 160 to the tank...mixed highway/city...i could squeeze more out of it if my right hand didn't have a mind of it's own...and thats not shifting at 2k, usually shift between 4-6k

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man, thanks for the back on this!! I KNEW me and my buddy weren't nuts!!! LOL. I don't know what is going on with my little baby, but the mileage has went to crap!

·
Registered
796 Posts
i usually shift at like 6k or so.
Unless its like first or second gear, and i feel like having some fun, then im at like 10-15K! :-o

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I feel like an idiot now!!! I am thinking I figured out the difference. Although, it makes what everyone NORMALLY says, a lie. I do ONE thing different than last year. I ride to work. HIGHWAY all the way. Running around 70 or so the entire way to and from. I'm betting that's what it is. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
i get about 120-140 per tank...depending on where im riding

·
Registered
228 Posts
im the friend he is talking about and get about 160 per tank. Fill the tank to the little piece of metal inside the cap. fill up as soon as it starts blinking. He is referring to a group ride we did where he had to fill up before i had to. And no unless im riding in my neighborhood or with a cop behind me i run when cruzing around 6-8 grand. We were doing anywhere from 60 - 130 for an hour with a couple wheelies thrown in. So i would not say im babying it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
dang ya'll drive like grand mas!!! crap, i live in a lil ass island and the only reason i shift under 6k is b/c traffic... maybe i turn into on so i can get 180 a tank... lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
>40 mpg shifting at 7 grand

-something i never thought about until about 2 months ago and did some math, when i down shift coming to a stop or just let it rev down, i get about 5 mpg less than i do when i pull in the cluth and coast to a stop

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i reset my tripometer everytime i fill up to the top.

i ran outta gas last time at 136miles.

once i had the blinking reserve light at 90miles.

depends on how you ride it i guess.

·
Registered
228 Posts
crazy isnt it. And yeah 70 in 6th gear is between 6-7 grand hows that grandmas. Riding to work at 7 am and riding for fun are two diffrence adventures my friend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can get two different figures. Keep in mind guys Im Aussie so KM/ Hr is my thing, but have converted it for MPH also to give an idea for all of us.
These figure are not a golden rule, just approximations.

This is cruise mode -
285Km not going much over 110km per hour, sometimes right on 105Km... easy on throttle, easy on down shifts- nothing above 6K on the revs. (thats 170 miles @ 70 MPH) about 6.3k on revs top gear.
Lazy cruise, go the next clog changes 5k or so.
-keep in mind Im not sure how much reserve was left.

The other is sport use
175km approx . Rev it plenty, to the max. speed flat out angry... thats about 108 miles at a flog speed. Lots of revs, aggressive down shifts. Both had approximately the same amounts of fuel left.

I once did a fuel log, but got tired of anylising my riding, cause I couldn't stop going fast, or cruise for long and the amounts conflicted.
The secondary injectors open up, and thats the end of fuel economy. But performance comes at a cost, and fuel is needed just for that!
The best thing of the CBR is it will do just both all day long...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do mostly freeway riding. i put 40 miles a day on the freeway going to and from work. on the way to work i usually cruise about 90MPH. on the way home its a different story cause the freeway is packed. On the way home its usually about 40-50MPH in second gear most of the way. i ride in second cause i want to be loud as i split lanes. So with that being said i get about 33 MPG. I always down shift and engine break. I dont mind getting 33MPH its better then my truck that gets 12MPG.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
05slvrRR said:
Ok, look, I've asked before, but, not much help. I have almost 8900 miles on my 05. All I've changed up to now is the oil. My buddy has an 05 as well. I started out last season riding hard MOST of the time, and getting around 180 miles to the fill up. Now, I ride hard ONCE in a while, and am getting 119 to this last tank. What the **** HAPPENED?????????? I am heavier than he is by 70 pounds or so. But, he get's the mileage I USED to!!! And he only has around 5k miles on his! Thanks for the input!! PLEASE help!!!!!
What grade of gas do you use? I know, apparently you don't get better gas mileage using premium in a stock bike. blah blah blah. ;-) I use premium and get great mpg. I shift between 5-6k.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts