Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 03 rr with 5200 miles on it. This winter I will be puttin alot of money into her. My question is how high is high miles for these bikes if properly maintained? Also if in two years or so assuming the RR is still around and not to many huge changes have been made is their a place online where you can purchase new engines? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
dude, an 03 with 5200 miles is very low milage unless all you use it for is track. If those are highway/street miles and you do the scheduled maintenance then you have nothing to worry about. I have about 13k on my 03 and its about to go to track only use. Remember its a Honda, just be good to it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
60,000 miles is not unreasonable with just basic maintainance. Who knows their real potential if you really take care of them. :mrgreen: I had 268,000 miles on my '91 T/A before I totalled it. The car ran just as good as when I bought it with 74,000 miles on it. That was after the head gasket blew at 99,000 miles (Right before the end of my warranty :twisted:). Other than that, I never touched the motor. And that was just with basic maintainance. Preventive maintainance is the key. The military can tell you that.

Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I know it is a honda and It will last longer then anything but I was just not to sure how high high miles were for a motorcycle. I didnt want to drop alot of cash into her and then find out it was a bad idea. It has never been to the track strictly a street bike for now. I never hit 3000k a year so I just change the fluids before every season since it sits in the stands with some fuel stabilizer in it over the winter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well I'm not sure about the 600rr but a fellow rider in my neighborhood has a late 80's goldwing with 125k on it. I could hardly believe it. I knew he rode alot but not that much. Apparently him and his wife like to ride down to florida alot. Among who knows where else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For crying out loud Goldwings are not different from cars. They have a car V6. Their engine speed is lower and that was I think the original question started this thread. We typically never drop below 6K RPM even riding streets. I don't think the materials are so advanced in terms of friction resistance to compensate for twice as higher engine speed.

The same is true about cars. You can't compare Civics or Accords to sportbikes based on the fact all of them have Honda badge. Let me rephrase the original question: what is the maximum mileage you've seen on a late-model Japanese sportbike? The highest mileage I've seen was 35K on Yamaha Thundercat.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
sold my 1994 F2 with 45000.00 miles the new owner loves it
specailly when he took it to the track and smoked soem buddies of his on newer bikes take care of it she will take care of you that's the bottom line

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put 34k between April 2000 and May 2004 on my VFR. Never a single problem and it was still running well. Renewable parts (steering head bearings, swingarm) were starting to fail and need replacement. But, that's expected.

I'm now seeing how many miles I can rack up on my 2004 RR. 4k and counting since September.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
shoora_r said:
For crying out loud Goldwings are not different from cars. They have a car V6. Their engine speed is lower and that was I think the original question started this thread. We typically never drop below 6K RPM even riding streets. I don't think the materials are so advanced in terms of friction resistance to compensate for twice as higher engine speed.

The same is true about cars. You can't compare Civics or Accords to sportbikes based on the fact all of them have Honda badge. Let me rephrase the original question: what is the maximum mileage you've seen on a late-model Japanese sportbike? The highest mileage I've seen was 35K on Yamaha Thundercat.
No kidding, I was just giving a general idea about bikes. I'm sure your engine will all be used up at 8k :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
shoora needs to do some study work before he posts ; GL's ( goldwings ) had a flat four until '88 , which is when the flat six came out . the original gl1000 was actually intended to be the performance replacement for the cb750 , and was marketed as so . to the original ? , my last two cbr's had 76k and 26k mi when i sold them , neither of which was near it's last leg , that is until the idiot rookies that bought them totalled them within a season of buying them . 11k and no worries on my rr ..

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
I have 34,000 miles on my suzuki sv 650 and no problems yet. The only thing so far is my clutch line seems a little loose, so I should replace that. Other than that, just fluids, tires, brake pads, and a chain and sprocket.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Eh, I'm a newbie, so I hardly every go above 7k rpm which is where I usually shift, and that's where it remains when cruising at highway speeds (70 or 80mph). I can't justify cruising around in first or second just so that I can keep it at 10 or 11k. I do downshift and rev it up to 10k or so to pass someone, but it doesn't stay there for more than a few seconds.

In other words, if I keep riding like these, it should hit over 50k miles without any problems.

·
Registered
411 Posts
shoora_r said:

Several members at fireblades.org have 50k+ miles on their 929/954 CBRs... They will go the distance.

RPM is not the be all end all metric, you also gotta look at piston speed! I'd be willing to bet that a GoldWing 1800 at say 3000rpm has a higher piston speed than a CBR600RR at say 7000rpm... The longer stroke means the piston has to travel further (and faster) even at a lower RPM...

But, modern I4 japanese sport bikes are very reliable. My 2001 929RR had 18,700 miles on it when I sold it. That was in just over a years time... It was as mean and ferocious at 18K as it was at 1K... No issues, no oil consumption and no signs of slowing down anytime soon...

Honda makes great/reliable bikes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts