Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you that have a mini lathe I'm in the market and was just looking for advice on the smaller stuff. I know harbor freight is a no-no in general from my experience with them. If anyone has any experience on the subject I'd love to hear it!
Thanks
-Alex

D

·
0 Posts
All of my tools are from Harbor Freight. You just need to know what it is you're looking for when picking tools.

What exactly are your needs and price range? Any specific size of items being machined or just general small stuff?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up on harbor freight... our family business builds industrial heat treat equipt. and most of the larger machining equipt. from them is absolute crap but I'll prolyl buy one of their smaller mills.... I was actually thinking of building affordable velocity stacks for the 07-08's since i have a cousin who's an aerospace engineer and he said he'd go 70/30 with me (he would be the 30) if i ever wanted him to design something...

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on harbor freight... our family business builds industrial heat treat equipt. and most of the larger machining equipt. from them is absolute crap but I'll prolyl buy one of their smaller mills.... I was actually thinking of building affordable velocity stacks for the 07-08's since i have a cousin who's an aerospace engineer and he said he'd go 70/30 with me (he would be the 30) if i ever wanted him to design something...
If that's what you're wanting to do, a mini lathe wont cut it. You'd need a larger lathe, unless you want to dish out some decent cash for a more powerful motor, larger chuck, and a CNC kit. Largest mini lathe I know if is a 9"x30", and that's just too small. It would work, but it would **** up the finish on the inside and mess up the tolarences big time.

Aftermarket V-stacks cost a lot for a reason. Machining them is a bitch...especially since a chunk of 3 3/4"D x 12" aluminum that would make 3 stacks is $140...for 6061.

For that application, I'd go with a South Bend 10" lathe and CNC it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have access to a much larger lathe (iirc it's something like 60" x 24") i just need something to prototype on... I also like have fun stuff to screw around with. The smaller models would go into a wind tunnel @ Lockheed in tx for my cousin to look at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts