Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
depending how dark they are its just like sunglasses, the smoked let a little more light in than the mirrored but as far as riding at night it all depends how dark the shields are... if you know you will be riding at night I suggest making a little room in your backpack or whatever to keep your clear visor for when it gets dark

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ride with a smoked visor all the time. I'm used to it but its not for everybody. Visibility is a issue at night sometimes in badly lit areas

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
The mirrored (Iridium)visors are not as dark as the smoked visors that is what I have been using for quite some time day and night never had any issues

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have both clear and dark smoked. The dark smoked is not too bad, as long as theres enough traffic to light the way. However in poorly lit areas I found it obviously tougher to see. If I ever forget my clear shield and I get off work late, I usually just dont take the freeway and ride with it up. If its like sundown and getting dark I'll just haul ass with it down to get home. IMO Day=Smoke/Mirrored Night=Clear/Light Smoke

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Not recently so things may be different now, but my mirrored visor was nearly impossible to see out of at night where light was low. The only things I could make our were lights, but not much else. Will never have one again - much easier to wear sunglasses under it and then I can use them when I take off the lid. Just need to get a pair that doesn't obstruct vision if you go down that road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've found that dark smoke is obviously going to be the worst for riding at night - not that it's not doable - but it can get really bad in some spots. Light smoke should be no problem at night.

You may want to look into a product called "E-Tint." Personally I have virtually no experience with them but if you search around you should be able to find some review. They are not the most aesthetically pleasing but they save you the hassle of carrying multiple visors.

http://e-tintproducts.com/

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My mirror is very dark and I always try to get home before nightfall. But the major major problem with the mirror visors is they scratch very easily, I put a hairline scratch on mine right in my line of vision, can't see it when looking at it but once you have the helmet on it annoying.

Sent while sitting on the crapper.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The mirrored (Iridium)visors are not as dark as the smoked visors that is what I have been using for quite some time day and night never had any issues
hmm, i found the complete opposite. The mirrored visor is quite a bit more darker than a full on dark smoke when i used them on my agv stealth helmet.

I just stuck to the dark as the mirror finish was a b*tch to keep clean even with tear off strips.

Light smoke i used at nights on my commute as it had such a small tint was pretty much unnoticeable.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ahh forgot to say for those posting i already have light smoke and ride at night with it, im wondering how mirrored compares really so i found moemans reponse interesting...think i need to compare these in a shop maybe...i have perfect vision as well if anyones interested, so which is best eh? :) you guys can see me in my sig what you think is best? i think silver and gold look easy to see through

Lightsmoke i ride with now:

Clear(which I also have):

Dark(£40):

Gold(£42):

Blue(£42):

Silver(£42):

·
Registered
342 Posts
Or get a Bell helmet and get the photochromatic visor that changes from clear to dark smoke depending on how light it is outside. Can't beat that!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
This the dark smoked visor was too dark at night.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
To me it felt that way even the light smoke was too dark as well but I know
every's perspective is different

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
The problem i see is the fact that we don't have a shop where you can go to try the different visors out....
I hear you mate that compounds the issue for sure it's all a risk taking process buy a part or a piece of gear to try out hopefully it works for you but if God forbid it does not then you would either send it back and exchange it. If the vendor offers that option or simply have to sell it . I have done business with sports bike shop Uk before and have a great experience here is a link to their site www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk email or call and ask about return or exchange policy

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I hear you mate that compounds the issue for sure it's all a risk taking process buy a part or a piece of gear to try out hopefully it works for you but if God forbid it does not then you would either send it back and exchange it. If the vendor offers that option or simply have to sell it . I have done business with sports bike shop Uk before and have a great experience here is a link to their site www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk email or call and ask about return or exchange policy
i use sportbikeshop all the time :shakehand they are awesome, they dont stock mirrored though, but i didn't realise the light smoke is apparently fully road legal according to them :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks mate, this is where i shall be getting the exact same helmet as brmoore, they have a great rep here in the UK from what ive heard....

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Thanks mate, this is where i shall be getting the exact same helmet as brmoore, they have a great rep here in the UK from what ive heard....
True that I got one of my AGV GP TECH from them and got a bunch of free goodies with the lid :shakehand

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts