Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok 600rr peeps here is what I have been battling for some time and what I have done and also what I believe is the fix. I have been dealing with a rough running bike with no codes to be found. It runs bad cold warm and at temp like it is starving for fuel or fouling plugs. It is a 2005 with a powercommander 5, and Yoshi slipon. I have replaced plugs, ignition coils, map sensor and was looking at voltage from the TPS to make sure it is not bad or out of tolerance. I noticed that while riding I could cycle the key a few time and it would run great for a few seconds then back to the same ole thing. Because of this along with not throwing codes I started wondering if it was a fuel delivery issue. I did after many many hours of reading and research came across a very short video without any information or follow-up. (2003-2005 CBR600RR Fuel pump internal filter)
so for the simple answer of my own questions I bought a rebuild kit for the pump and started the process of disassembly. When I got to the internal ABS plastic cartridge I noticed there was no way it was ever intended to be opened so I did! there is a filter inside that looked very similar to that in the video as well as a little crushed from what I believe came from the pump pulling so much pressure in an attempt to deliver fuel as required. There is not a replacement filter or cartridge that I have found just as there is no way to purchase a "NEW" TPS without the added cost of it being attatched to the throttle plate from the factory. I have seen this issue in so many post that are plaguing so many riders I hope this fixes the horrible problem that has yet to remain unresolved. I have a new fuel pump assembly on order and have removed the old pump assembly. I removed the nasty filter and am going to re-glue the top to the base, install a inline filter outside of the tank and try just for the sake of clarification to what I believe I have found a fix to this nasty issue. I will update as soon as I have either the new pump assemble and or the secondary repair complete...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have checked the map and uninstalled the PCV and reinstalled with base map all results were the same

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok 600rr folks here is the update. today I installed the new fuel pump and only because I could not buy the ABS plastic cartridge with the internal filter shown in my previous post. I took my old cartridge to my local Honda shop where Mike and I discussed everything I have done up to this point. Looking at all available parts for the fuel pump rebuild go figure you can not get this cartridge so I purchased the complete pump assembly, results are exactly what I figured they would be seeing the condition of the old internal filter. My bike runs better than it ever has since I have had it, maybe even better than when it was new. I believe this internal filter has so many of us stumped without an avenue to go. Another possibility is separate the top from the bottom then remove the old filter use a specialized ABS glue when putting them back together and install an external in-line filter outside the tank. I was not able to try this because I broke the tab that secures the pressure regulator to the cartridge, a costly mistake however the new pump has fixed my issues, took it out today and instantly knew the problem was solved. Good luck hope this helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts