Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only thread I was able to post in for some reason. When I bought my bike I was informed that the rear seat lock was missing. My mechanic told me I would be able to replace it and he could make it work with my key, but I just ordered a intergrated taillight from TST that requires the removal of the rear seat and fairing for install. The seat is locked in place. Is there a way to remove the seat in this case. Again its 2008 model with factory rear seat. Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is the only thread I was able to post in for some reason. When I bought my bike I was informed that the rear seat lock was missing. My mechanic told me I would be able to replace it and he could make it work with my key, but I just ordered a intergrated taillight from TST that requires the removal of the rear seat and fairing for install. The seat is locked in place. Is there a way to remove the seat in this case. Again its 2008 model with factory rear seat. Thanks!
Welcome, Welcome!
Not sure I understand your situation. You say it didn't come with a rear seat lock, and then you say you can't unlock the rear seat?
You need to unlock the rear seat lock to get the rear fairing off. If you don't have the key, hire a locksmith and he can pick the lock for you, then he can probably make you a key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, Welcome!
Not sure I understand your situation. You say it didn't come with a rear seat lock, and then you say you can't unlock the rear seat?
You need to unlock the rear seat lock to get the rear fairing off. If you don't have the key, hire a locksmith and he can pick the lock for you, then he can probably make you a key.
I can add a picture for reference tomorrow, but essentially the lock itself is not in the hole but the seat will not come off as if the lever is connected. I've used a solid amount of force to try to get it off but not wanting to break it. Is it just popped on if the lock isnt there, meaning I just need to apply more pressure to get it off?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,892 Posts
if the lock is gone but the seat is latched, you will not be able to remove the seat.

the only way you're going to get it open is to manually pull the latch with a picking tool. you may be able to do this by removing the rider's seat, then sliding something between the bodywork and the under tray.

you will have the best luck if you have another bike of your year to see how the mechanism is set up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had a similar issue with a friend's bike were the latch on the end of the lock cylinder came undone. We tried everything we could and actually managed to get a pick onto the release mechanism but could not get enough force on it to release the seat. Eventually we ended up just drilling a hole about 1 1/2 - 2 inches to the right of the lock and could get a screw driver onto it that way. You might have better luck with the lock cylnder not being there though, good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a similar issue with a friend's bike were the latch on the end of the lock cylinder came undone. We tried everything we could and actually managed to get a pick onto the release mechanism but could not get enough force on it to release the seat. Eventually we ended up just drilling a hole about 1 1/2 - 2 inches to the right of the lock and could get a screw driver onto it that way. You might have better luck with the lock cylnder not being there though, good luck.
Adding a pic for reference. I should be able to pick the release mechanism?

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Adding a pic for reference. I should be able to pick the release mechanism?
With the lock gone like that you should be able to get a screwdriver in there to manually push the latch to the side. Push down on the seat to help take some of the tension off of it. If I remember correctly we pushed the latch to the left (while facing the back of the bike, so towards the throttle side).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts