Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I ran out of fuel and this old mand had some gas in an old can about a gallon. I think it had some water of some thing in. So I put some octane booster in it along with some 93 to clear it up. about 30 min. into my ride I was running around 8k rpm. ( full yosh, pc, and -1 front.) I went to pass a car and when I twisted the throttle it almost died. I could not get the bike over 9k and it wouldn't gain any speed. I pulled in the clutch and reved the bike and it sounded fine and went t the red line. i let out and it would run fine to 8k and then stated missing agian. Made it home let the bike sit for awhile and took it back out after checking the fluids. It did fine. 20 min ride. But today on my ride to work (1 hour) after running about 7-8k for 45 min it started the same thing.
Did the octane boost crap hurt my pc or do I just need to run that whole tank out or what. never had any problems before this.
04, 25000 miles, regular service

·
Registered
693 Posts
well i really couldnt tell you what is the right thing to do.

but i would syphon everything out of the gas tank. and fill it up with some 93.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
if there is anything left to syphon i'd say do that..if not I'd say try and run some fuel system cleaner through it..keep us posted

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Strange it only happens under load. No sputtering at all when revving it with the clutch in?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
i would syphon tht fuel out. maybe check your hoses...maybe one is pinched...? I dunno bro...keep us posted....maybe check the fuel filter. gl

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It sounds like your starving for fuel. You may have gotten some trash in the fuel strainer or one or more injectors. If it doesn't clear up in the next tank or two (use Chevron w/ Techron gas) I'd pull the tank and inspect the fuel pump and strainer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you have water in it, drain the tank. I dont think we have a fuel filter. At least on a 03. If you havn't changed the plugs lately and new fuel dont fix it. I'd say the plugs are going. They may even look good, but can still be going bad.
Maybe add a fuel stabilizer that absorbs water in gas.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Dekon said:
....I dont think we have a fuel filter. At least on a 03.
Technically you're correct. We don't have an inline fuel filter. However, we do have a mesh type filter media over the fuel pump inlet that's called a fuel strainer. If something such as a piece of a leaf gets trapped in the strainer it could starve the fuel pump. Or it may just be gummed up with varnish?

But I have to agree with you on it might be water. That's why I sugessted he just run it out if possible without having to pull/dump the tank. I know in cars/trucks you can add Rubbing alcohol to the tank and it absorbs the water but I'm still reluctant to do that on these bikes. I know the TB's have a Molybdenum coating that carb cleaners will strip off. I'm not sure if there are any other parts downstrem of the fuel pump with Moly coating. That may be why some people say not to use fuel injection cleaners. Not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts