Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2000 CBR F4 and I'm considering spending some money to mod her and hit a sportbike school or track day or I could "upgrade" to an 03-04 600rr.

The mods I had planned for the F4 would be the split seat mod and painting the tail black to offset the black and yellow, getting SS lines, doing the F4i guage swap and integrated tail and puig windscreen or just clean her up and sell her and get a used 600.

I know its a personal decision and all but if you were in this situation what would you do.

Main reason for the 600rr is looks, FI,and less wear and tear due to it being newer. Mind you I already know that learning to ride better will help me get the most out of any bike and with either I'll be spending some time at a track and getting the suspension set up.:toothy4:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I say upgrade to an 05-06 or 07+ rr. But it all depends on how long you've had your fri. If its only been a short while then I suggest keeping it longer

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its my second bike. I had a ninja 250 first and rode it for around 10k and have put around another 6.5k on my F4. I wouldn't be upgrading till early next year.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
upgrade. the RR is a much better bike for the track no matter which year model you're talking about.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I may do that since this coming year I should be in a position to actually do some track days.

I think I'll still stick with an 03-04 since although inverted forks and lighter weight is nice since I'll just be starting track riding and it will also be my DD I won't notice enough of a difference when I could spend that extra 1-2k on track dedicated gear, mods to my new RR and track dedicated tires.

Hmmm decisions decision lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maki's first law of bike modifications, (assuming bike B is bettern than bike A):

The cost of modifying bike A to reach the level of bike B = $X
The cost of selling bike A and buying bike B = $Y

$X > $Y

Corollary to Maki's first law. It is more cost effective to save your money to buy a better bike later than to spend it on mods for your current bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^True but I'm not really modding my F4 to reach the RRs level more to just enhance what is already a good aged bike.

I guess I'm weighing the benefits of having a bike thats personalized and modded vs a basically stock 600rr...

Although the more I think about it the more I flip flop like a politician.......

·
Registered
709 Posts
upgrade.... I will never, ever go back to a non-FI bike.

bike technology evolves so fast, its almost as bad as someone asking if they should try and upgrade their 9yr old computer, or just spend that cash and buy a newer one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like FI especially since it makes it easier to adjust the fuel mix etc. I think I may just wait a little longer so I can keep both and use the F4 as a commuter and the 600rr a track bike. I'm also thinking about getting a 675 as well.

Hmmmm. Anyone have any reviews between the F4/i vs 600rr. I've seen one or two on here so far.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I just went through something like this with a 2003 F4i.

I have lusted after the 2007/2008 600RR ever since it came out but had never rode one and was seriously considering putting a couple thousand into the F4i.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that didn't make any sense.

Then I went and test rode a 2008 600RR. I came back and I was just about speechless. I kept asking myself "Was that bike really that good?".

I bought it on the spot. There is no comparison between a 2007/2008 600RR and an F4 or and F4i. None.

The F4i feels like a bucket of bolts. The 2008 600RR feels like the bike was machined from a single piece of aluminum.

The F4i cuts through a corner like a sharp hacksaw cuts through a tree branch. No hassles, gets the job done, nice and workman like, no complaints.

The 600RR cuts through a corner like a hot knife through warm butter. I feel like I'm flying a freakin' F16.

The F4i is now for sale in order to suport my new 600RR habit!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sell the F4i for 3k, buy an 03/04 for $4,500

Honestly, for the money an 03/04 600rr is the best bike out there.

If anyone wants to disagree with that pull your $10,000 '08 next to my '03 600rr and show me what that other 5 grand can do.

Yes the 08 is faster, yes it's lighter, all I'm saying, is for the money, the 03/04 is the way to go.

More bang for the buck.

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
dont go out looking with the mindset that you "can only afford the 03-04 and you'll save enough that you can get more mods/gear"... that's just not always true. If you're buying some time this winter just keep your eyes out and you can probably find an 05-06 just as cheap... especially if it doesnt have many mods or someone needs to unload it. I dont know your budget but def don't limit yourself. And yes, I say sell and jump up to the RR...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hawks right, you never know, clean that bike up real nice, put it up for sale ASAP, get it sold and start shooting offers around, there's people out there that are about to loose there house and will part with there bike in a second.

Bikes always loose value over the winter, but your bike has just about hit as low as it's going to get. Take an rr for a test drive, you'll put that f4i up for sale the same day.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I think about it I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an RR.

I think I'll just clean up the F4 and put her up for sale. I agree with the 03-04 being the best deal since although the newer ones are obviously lighter etc its not enough of a difference plus I actually like the earlier models looks.

Hopefully around december-feb time frame I'll have an RR since around here the best prices seem to show up end of december thru Jan.

Hopefully I can find a nice unmoded or lightly modded RR for around 4-4.5k

1 - 20 of 21 Posts