Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what other people think, i overheard a sales guy talking to a customer about mods to bikes like the 600rr, which is what i have, saying that anytime you add horsepower or exhaust it screws with the longevity of the motor. In some respects i could believe this, others not. For the average modder for instance someone like me who just would like to put a slip on exhaust, maybe a couple other things, how big of a difference is it really going to make?

K

·
0 Posts
The engine is some what detuned by honda. the Velocity Stacks are evidence of that. All you're doing is freeing up horsepower in many cases.

Since the ECU is pretty much programed for the bike AS IS, any change in intake or exhaust will throw the system off. By how much will depend heavilly on the mod. A S/O (depending on the setup) will, in nearly every case, make the bike run Lean (hotter) in some points, and Rich (cool) at others. The best way to correct this is to use a programable ECU, like the DynoJet Power Commander III.

the A/F ratio is what concerns most shops when they talk about longevity.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i were to purchase a mild slip on exhaust, would you recommend having it retuned?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yes, not only will the bike appreciate it you will to :)

K

·
0 Posts
no. I'm sure it's fine. be aware, though, that you may be running rich or lean at certain RPMs. Again, if you do anything to the motor's Intake or Exhaust systems that the A/F ratio will be off. by how much only a Dyno can tell. It might be alot, or it might be not at all. find a dyno in your area and do a run. shouldn't cost too much. you're not paying for the tuneing or anything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Knightslugger said:
no. I'm sure it's fine. be aware, though, that you may be running rich or lean at certain RPMs. Again, if you do anything to the motor's Intake or Exhaust systems that the A/F ratio will be off. by how much only a Dyno can tell. It might be alot, or it might be not at all. find a dyno in your area and do a run. shouldn't cost too much. you're not paying for the tuneing or anything.
:+1...I know in my area its easy to get a dyno run with an A/F analysis for only 45 dollars; there are even times where shops do promos and offer free dyno runs all day, so keep an eye out.

It's a small price to pay to make sure you're bike is running properly; if anything is seriously out of whack, they will be able to tell, and you can decide from there whether or not you need a PC3. Be smart though, dont ASK them if you need one, just ask them to let you know if your A/F ratio looks good, or if its running lean/rich.

Another cheaper alternative is to run the bike for a while and pull the plugs. If the bike is running way too lean, the plugs will be white from running hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not an expert on the topic but I doubt a slip on will affect the longevity of a bike. It's like having a cat-back system on a car. You're still going to get 100k+ on the car.

·
Registered
606 Posts
those type of mods will have no affect on reliability. Unless you bump compression or run the bike lean or somethin like that you wont have any problems

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Like Knight is saying, it all depends on how much your pipe changes your fuel mapping. Take my Leo Vince for example. After the install the low rpm range went rich and the upper rpm range went too lean. It started causing hesitations in acceleration from 8-12k rpm. After remapping the upper rpm throttle positions it runs great.

FYI, for these EFI motors I don't believe in looking at the plugs or the tailpipe to judge the A/F ratio conditions because it's constantly changing. It's not like the carburetor days. The best you can get from that is an overall average.

·
Registered
352 Posts
NewRedRider said:
FYI, for these EFI motors I don't believe in looking at the plugs or the tailpipe to judge the A/F ratio conditions because it's constantly changing. It's not like the carburetor days. The best you can get from that is an overall average.
good point...I've always used the dyno to tune the R1 and the 600rr. That said, my race car and my first bike are both carbed, guess I had a memory lapse there.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
CBRguy06 said:
saying that anytime you add horsepower or exhaust it screws with the longevity of the motor. In some respects i could believe this, others not.
thats probably true the closer you get to the max output the engine is capable of, which probably happens only in the highest levels of racing. For the average street rider its most likely not even an issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so pretty much just to be safe and make it run right, im gonna have someone tune it after a pipe installation. id like to keep it peppy in the right spots

·
Registered
454 Posts
You could just buy a PCIII with NO MODS and get it tuned and you will notice a difference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts