Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier Temp

Hi everyone,
replaced my oem Rectifier/Regulator with a Mosfet Rectifier/Regulator on my 03' CBR600rr. I repositioned the R/R but it makes contact with the inside of fairing. Here's my question .....do Mosfets get hot enough to melt the plastic fairing? I know the oem R/R would be scorching hot!

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not sure how hot they get, but it might be worth getting the 05/06 r/r bracket, which acts as more of a heatshield from the engine. It might also sit the r/r a bit away from the fairing so it doesn't touch.
I recently bought a Mosfet r/r too (but haven't had a chance to fit it yet). I bought one of the improved brackets from a breaker in the US on eBay, as it seems these are hard to get cheap in the UK.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how hot they get, but it might be worth getting the 05/06 r/r bracket, which acts as more of a heatshield from the engine. It might also sit the r/r a bit away from the fairing so it doesn't touch.
I recently bought a Mosfet r/r too (but haven't had a chance to fit it yet). I bought one of the improved brackets from a breaker in the US on eBay, as it seems these are hard to get cheap in the UK.

Thanks! I already have the newer bracket but I found the R/R would still get hot, so I didn't use bracket and bolted R/R right to frame using the bracket holes. I guess I'll just let the bike warm up and see if it heats up.

Bill

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks! I already have the newer bracket but I found the R/R would still get hot, so I didn't use bracket and bolted R/R right to frame using the bracket holes. I guess I'll just let the bike warm up and see if it heats up.

Bill
I'd have thought it would still get hot either way... alternatively try to put it somewhere else with good airflow but away from the engine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have thought it would still get hot either way... alternatively try to put it somewhere else with good airflow but away from the engine.
I think the reason it originally got hot was because it was mounted so close to the exhaust pipe. So i'm trying to relocate it and the easiest place was where the mounting bracket holes are. I think it will still get some airflow there but it touches the inner part of the fairing. I'm trying to figure out if Mosfet gets as hot as oem. OEM would probably melt plastic!

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mosfet still gets hot. The power has to go somewhere.
Yes...I thought so too. But as hot as OEM? I've read lots of reviews about Mosfet running cooler. If it runs as hot as OEM then I'll have to mount it back on to the 05' bracket. I just think being so close to the exhaust pipe will shorten the life of the R/R. This is my 3rd one!

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone,
replaced my oem Rectifier/Regulator with a Mosfet Rectifier/Regulator on my 03' CBR600rr. I repositioned the R/R but it makes contact with the inside of fairing. Here's my question .....do Mosfets get hot enough to melt the plastic fairing? I know the oem R/R would be scorching hot!

Thanks,
Bill
I ran engine to operating Temp and the MOSFET r/r barely even got warm.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,792 Posts
at idle it's not bleeding off any power because the stator voltage is still low. no rectifier is going to get very hot at idle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
at idle it's not bleeding off any power because the stator voltage is still low. no rectifier is going to get very hot at idle.
Thanks Wibbly,
I was thinking that too. The next test on the R/R is to take the bike for a drive and get the engine hot. I know with the old OEM R/R you could fry an egg on it after a highway drive! I'll report back!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,
I've driven the bike on the highway a few times. The MOSFET r/r barely got warm. I've actually relocated it. I bolted it on the opposite side of mounting bracket so it's facing faring. I also wrapped heat shield with insulation (heat shield) to keep heat from exhaust at minimum. So far so good! Charging system back to normal even when engine is hot!

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts