Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my 03 600rr and after about 2 seconds of starting I hear a clunk. I try to start it again and all I get is a click and dimming headlights. So I put it in gear and try to rock it back and forth but the tire just slides and the motor is locked up some how. Everything is stock except for a slip-on and I always check and change the oil since it was brand new. I am going to tear into it this weekend but was wondering if this had happened to anyone else. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds to me like your battery needs a good charge. Put it on a battery tender/charger for a while then try starting the bike again.

The engine has a lot of compression and you won't be able to turn the rear wheel while it's in grear simply by pushing the bike. You'll need a fair bit of momentum before you can drop it into gear and have the engine turn over. Do some searches on bump starting a bike for futher details.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always keep my batt on a tender and it is new and fully charged. The question is not IF the motor is locked but what would be the most likley cause of it locking up?

·
Registered
152 Posts
In that case it could be seized piston(s), broken or stretched timing chain, crankshaft bearings, or even the clutch plates could be stuck together.

If you're seriously worried about the engine being seized I'd recommend taking it into a shop and having them look at it. You could damage it further by messing around trying to get it to work.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I agree with firestorm with one exception... you can mess with the motor... it is cheaper to get a used motor off of ebay then to repair the one you have. So if your motor is seriously junk... it won't hurt to mess it up more.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I don't think its seized ether... Like he said, you can NOT just rock the bike and expect it to try and turn over. You have to get a running start. Before ANYTHING, I'd try a new battery. Maybe the tender went bad and over charged the battery thus rendering it a bad battery.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Is the clutch pulled in when your rocking it in gear?
other question is it a battery tender or charger?
Some charger can damage the battery.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with firestorm with one exception... you can mess with the motor... it is cheaper to get a used motor off of ebay then to repair the one you have. So if your motor is seriously junk... it won't hurt to mess it up more.
I recommended taking it to a shop because if you don't know what to look for and/or fix you could cause more damage and incur more expenses than necessary. For example if the cam chain is the issue you could bend/break valves by trying to start the engine. Knowing the issue is the chain and replacing it would be a lot cheaper than doing a valve job as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you can't turn the bike over just by rocking it but it has a different feel to it when I do rock it back and forth. I swaped the battery with a good one of another bike and no change. I have had bikes with dead batterys in my 20 years of riding and the battery is not the problem. I have done rebuilds and engine swaps before so if the engine need too much work I'll just replace it. I was just looking for anyone who HAD a 600rr lock up before and to see if their was any common problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Watched my friend burning out his back tire and the exact same thing happend to him when we tried to leave. Was about $1200 to repair :(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Watched my friend burning out his back tire and the exact same thing happend to him when we tried to leave. Was about $1200 to repair :(
Can you expand upon this clutch issue? What clutch part failed? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I recommended taking it to a shop because if you don't know what to look for and/or fix you could cause more damage and incur more expenses than necessary. For example if the cam chain is the issue you could bend/break valves by trying to start the engine. Knowing the issue is the chain and replacing it would be a lot cheaper than doing a valve job as well.

Well put...I can agree with that too.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
So I put it in gear and try to rock it back and forth

if the bike is in gear and the clutch is not pulled in it wont roll or start

maybe i missed the part about it not moving in N or with the clutch pulled in but i am in a hurry this morning

1 - 16 of 16 Posts