Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are...

Just a reminder to please ride safe and do not ride over your head. Not only do you have to watch out for other vehicles while riding, you have to watch out for yourself! 3 out of 4 motorcycle fatalities are caused by the Motorcyclist.
In 2000, 73 people were killed in Colorado on motorcycles. 53 of these fatalities were the fault of the motorcyclists. (72.6% were the motorcycles fault)

Motorcycle Fatalities, 1991 - 2000 = 283 deaths total in Colorado

Cause of Crashes Caused by the Motorcyclists= 77.7%
220 Fatalities
DUI 30.9%
Exceeding Lawful Speed 19.1%
Inattentive to Driving 13.6%
Exceeding Safe Speed 10.5%
Wrong Side of Road 6.4%

Cause of Crashes Caused by the Other Driver= 22.3%
63 Fatalities
DUI 15.9%
Improper Left Turn 15.9%
Failed to Yield Right of Way 11.0%
Animal Caused 9.5%
Inattentive to Driving 9.5%​

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/cdps/Stats/Mtc/Mtc.htm

·
Registered
904 Posts
This is true and ride safe........However look at the breakdown of those statistics

31% of those fatalities in which the motorcycle was at fault was becasue the person riding was drunk.......

·
Registered
904 Posts
You don't want to see CA's statistics

Go to a local message board and you can read several threads about people crashing and dying in the canyons

·
Registered
121 Posts
These numbers should be somewhat reassuring, at least to those of you in Colorado. This helps to show that we are more at fault for our own accidents. I know at least I get a lot of worried friends/family for riding a motorcycle and things like this could be used to help show that my chances (being a safe rider) are smaller of being in an accident.

Not to say these are good numbers to see, but I would rather see how it is now versus flipping those percentages. Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good information. Kinda sucks to see the highest % on the bike side is DUI. I had rather hoped that fewer bikers rode drunk. I guess that does include the cruiser side of things too, though.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Suicycle said:
Good information. Kinda sucks to see the highest % on the bike side is DUI. I had rather hoped that fewer bikers rode drunk. I guess that does include the cruiser side of things too, though.

Yeah, its all the Harley riders that think the Hells Angels still exhist....! lol

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
FSURR said:
This is true and ride safe........However look at the breakdown of those statistics

31% of those fatalities in which the motorcycle was at fault was becasue the person riding was drunk.......
How many Harleys do you see parked in front of bars. I won't even touch a drink before I ride. The RR takes 100% of your concentration.

I'll bet it's the harley guys and wanabees that skew these statistics.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, so for those who think they are going to be taken out by another driver, that's only 25% of your problem. The other %75 is making sure you don't kill yourself.

You are three times more likely to kill yourself than to be killed by another driver..

That's if your in Colorado.

I'm sure the statistics are much worse here in California... Not to mention these are out of date by five years. The motorcycle population has increased tremendously since then.

·
Registered
765 Posts
30+ % DUI??? Holy canoli

I guess some people odnt find riding sober dangerous enough. Maybe we should line our bikes with spikes. That would make it alot more risky too.

Seriosly, no cab ride home is gonna cost you more than your life. Don't be stupid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts