Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... How many of you ride year round? Not because of weather conditions, but because a motorcycle is your only means of transportation. I'm thinking about doing this... your thoughts? Anyone here do it?

P.S. I live in CA, so it is an option for me...

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
it would be pretty hard in my area to truly ride year round because of snow and ice storms.

but my neighbor a few houses down has a BMW touring bike he rides to and from work 9 times out of 10. rain or shine. i think he takes the train to work tho when its really bad out.

i bet it would be hard on a RR

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been riding for the last 3 months because my car is curently down. Sure its cold but I just layer up and I'm all good. Oh and I ride 80 miles a day to go to school.

I do park it when it rains, I just bum a ride when that happens.

·
Registered
534 Posts
a buddy of mine does it now. its aight that its 81 and clear here being december. on rainy days he gets rides from his g/f or another friend. He was headed to my house one day, got to the corner of his street and it poured on him....

personally i couldnt do it. i ride my bike as a hobby...couldnt do it for a means of transportation.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I wouldn't suggest it. You're at the mercy of the weather and you really can't carry anything on it. You can't really even make a trip to the grocery store without a car.

Of course living in MN, its not an option anyways. We have about a foot of snow out there right now.

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
Even though it do-able, its generally a good idea to still have a beater car for those occasions that you really do need a car. Your transportation is weather dependent and you really cant carry much on the bike.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My buddy does that, I don't know how long it has been since he owned a car. He has an older gixxer and he loves not having a car. You save a lot of money by not having a car too. Just need to be willing to ride in some weather some times and know you can get by with out a car for moving things around.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm kinda in the same situation. I have a nice car and am paying a lot for it but ever since I got my bike I don't really need my car nor the payments for it. I could be saving so much money without it. But right now I'm trying to sell it and get something cheaper. But I agree just having a bike for main transportation would be difficult; groceries, what if the bike is down for whatever reason or whatever else might come up. Just get a cheap car.

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
I guess I will answer this question seems no one else gives a straight answer.

I am an everyday rider. When It rains too bad out I am either STUCK where I am and wait it out or I do not go out at all including work.

Okay... How many of you ride year round? Not because of weather conditions, but because a motorcycle is your only means of transportation. I'm thinking about doing this... your thoughts? Anyone here do it?

P.S. I live in CA, so it is an option for me...

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I guess I will answer this question seems no one else gives a straight answer.

seems to me like everyone is giving a straight answer. sheesh.

Living in Wisconsin, its nearly impossible to ride year round. Even though i'd love to, its just not gonna happen. I would though if i could...

·
Registered
225 Posts
i been riding everyday as well and i live in SoCal, thats the only option i have as of now cuz i have no car, and it hasnt been too bad, just a little cold in the mornings but thats about it, and i didnt have too much trouble when it was raining about a week ago neither, so i think if you just ride safe u'll be fine...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm an all year round rider. Fair enough, we don't get much rain here but when it does rain we're talking total flooding. Like wrk4ups I wait it out.

I take my wife into work every day without fail, use a backpack to handle the odd small shop here and there and even manage a staggering 500+ CD's strapped to my shoulder when I DJ 3 nights a week. Like many, my car (a Scooby Impreza) is filthy dirty cos of all the dust it gathers, while the bike (surprisingly enough) is always gleaming. What can I say, It would take me the better part of 30 minutes to drive into work every morning - biking it takes 5.

·
Registered
774 Posts
For the past 2 1/2 years all I've had is my bike. Living and working in San Francisco makes it a bit easier though. I couldn't imagine commuting year round the RR, when it rains I either take the bus, or walk to work.
There's a grocery store right around the corner from my house, and most anything else I need I'll stuff in a backpack.
Us west coast/Cali people have it a bit easier, in terms of year round riding then the other states.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I've done it when I was younger but it's just not feasible on the RR for me working a professional(aka get half way dressed up) job. There is the occasion when I'll still ride into the office but my clothes are wrinkled and I smell like exhaust so I generally reserve that for casual Fridays.;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess I fall in this crowd. I've got an 600rr, a Grand Cherokee Overland, and Old Wrangler.

I've been riding my bike to work exclusivly since march. I wear a suit. i just roll the jacket, shirt up and place them in my back pack. look like I just got them from the cleaners when I get them out. and because it's so comfortable, for a couple months after march I would occasionally drive the Overland, like to a date, going out with friends, or other stupid stuff, but I haven't driven my Overland since august now. Now I just make the them drive, or I drive their car. Plus if you pick up stuff at the store when you need it, and not wait till you need 3 carts full, then you can usually put everything from the store in a decent sized back pack, or have somebody pick something up on their way over. Because of this I've decided to sell the Grand Cherokee. The Wranlger is in peices getting an extreme makeover.

So yes you can ride the bike as the only form of transportation. I have alternates, and I still ride. If it rains I just ride slower. If the bike brakes, take the bus or get a 10 speed.

Edit: I forgot the only thing i can't seem to do on my bike, is pick up the dry cleaning. Always got to use a cage, cause the wind just tears the plastic apart and trys to rip the clothes off the hanger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i rode everywhere rain and shine during the summer. in pa its hard now cuz of the snow and ice. my buddy in st pepe rides his r6 every day its his only mode of transport. has never had a problem and loves every second of it

1 - 20 of 68 Posts