Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A facilities manager has complained I don't use the motorcycle parking(nobody does) and use a car parking space to park my bike, I have many reasons not to but I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions to go back to him with? Any legal requirements that motorcycle parking should adhere to if provided that perhaps they're not?

The parking bay itself is not straight, it's the last un-used bit they couldn't put a car in, so they're small and at an angle making way for a hedge, nothing to secure bikes to, they're on the inside of a corner so a blind bend really, they're furtherest away space in the whole car park from the entrance, no cover yet there is cover on the cycle sheds, there's nothing to secure older bikes to that haven't got the security i have on my newer bike.
Hopefully you guys can help me out, I've got a couple things;
I could just come in a car and take up the space i am.
Nobody brings people they all bring a whole car to carry 1 person so why as 1 person am i worth less than a space.
As said there's nowhere to lock older less secure bikes to.
Engines on bikes are exposed would be nice for some sort of cover when did have an old bike it didnt like rain, you don't have that problem with cars the electrics arn't as available.
I found a broken battery next to my bike which gave me a scare since this is a secure 24/7 secure car park why are there old batteries, next to my bike of all things and none of the cars.
It's on a blind bend.
I was hit by a bus not long ago(posted on mcn then too about that) and can't feel most of my knees and other parts of my leg from other crashes and don't want to have to park so much further than car drivers anyway...
There's no changing rooms provided at all or lockers, such a thing would help the cyclists too, shouldn't we promote more bikers and cyclists and get these cars off the road...not suggest they should be in cars.

Any more is much appreciated!! Let's get rid of this attitude that we're not also a legal vehicle on the road deserving of the same rights!

I also posted this in the legal section of another bike website to see if there are any UK laws suggesting the bike parking is inadequate and i should not have to park in inadequate parking :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
if i understand you correctly its out of sight. that would be my first defense. if its not in general view, its bound to attract risk to my bike. tell them your knees are shot so you cant walk that far.

here at the office i have a dedicated parking bay so i use the car some days, other days i use the bike and no one complains.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Traffic law states that a parking spot can be utilized by ALL motor vehicles. He cant lawfully force you to park in either or. Id just keep on doing what you been doing and explaine to him that he can park his cage over there if he feels that upset about it not getting used.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i agree with X, we have as much right as a registered motor-vehicle as the next person. just because we ride instead of drive doesn't mean we get segregated.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Start parking on the sidewalk.. :fyou: :bootyshak
This is what I do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post here about someone backing into their bike in a parking lot. Most of the time they just leave and you just come out to see your bike on the ground.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
if i understand you correctly its out of sight. that would be my first defense. if its not in general view, its bound to attract risk to my bike. tell them your knees are shot so you cant walk that far.

here at the office i have a dedicated parking bay so i use the car some days, other days i use the bike and no one complains.
Yea that was my argument but in defence of cars only see bikes are there after they're around the corner, if they oversteer our bikes will be the punching bag for the car since its got a hedge you can't tell somethings there, also the hedge takes up most of the bloody space too, in terms of security it's not a public car park so they'll just say we have 24/7 manned security and HD cameras, it's a bank, which i can't really argue with....BUT there was a battery lying next to my bike(funny how the one bike there and thats where it lands up)...so i did move after that, my bike showed no theft attemps but theres a public path other side of the fence at the back, covered by trees so if anyone did try anything it'd be round the back there where the bike parking is

I have just as much right to a parking spot when I'm riding as anyone else does in a car.
yea exactly...so what happens if i owned a car and parked it in the same spot, absolutely nothing so i don't see why what vehicle i bring is an argument that im worth less as a biker but i can just bring a car and take the same space up...it makes no sense

Start parking on the sidewalk..

one guy does do that, but he only comes on his bike for late work to get through traffic, he has a car too so if they told him to move he'd just come by car, and take up even more space, ironically since he parks on the front but leaves enough room for delivery trucks to come through the front so he doesn't get told to move since hes not taking a car space...im starting to think this is bike hater vs biker...just sums up the attitude doesn't it...don't bother looking for bikes while driving and god forbid they take a car parking space so you can't...thats interferring with car driving again...

Traffic law states that a parking spot can be utilized by ALL motor vehicles. He cant lawfully force you to park in either or. Id just keep on doing what you been doing and explaine to him that he can park his cage over there if he feels that upset about it not getting used.
now thats a good one, i could ask him to point out where its signed what type of vehicle can use a car space...what if a van comes along, is he not allowed in it either because the word car is not van...haha, if everyone who had a bike licence in this building came by bike...there would not be enough space for the bikes...ive had people who always come by car because they go from site to site but they all have bikes too...

This is what I do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post here about someone backing into their bike in a parking lot. Most of the time they just leave and you just come out to see your bike on the ground.
there's more chance of that happening in the bike bays...they're around a blind corner shoved in the last space they couldn't draw car parking on, deliveries for mail and cash in transit vans come around the front so i can't do that, there's no actual footpath it's all road or parking so i can't really find a footpath to park on...

maybe i should park in the visitor bays, right smack bang at the front...nice and close for me :)

Share a car parking spot with another bike if there are any other riders there.

I'm in a rare bracket of people that rider a big bike every single day, there isn't anyone i've seen at my work that comes everyday like me...thats my i suppose this guy thinks he can get me to move, im the minority....he'll find out the hard way im one hell of a minority to mess with...

·
Registered
349 Posts
If it is a private parking garage public laws are not applicable, however, he could tow your bike for failing to adhere to the rules and regulations of the parking garage. If it is a public parking garage then there could be legal ramifications I.e. a parking ticket. This is based on the laws of Ohio and my experience as a law enforcement officer. I have dealt with similar situations hundreds of times.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
349 Posts
To expand on one point, the legal ramifications, I do not believe there is a law against parking a motorcycle in any parking spot. I was just pointing out that traffic laws must be adhered to in public parking garages.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
so do handicapped people have to park in the handicap spots. ?
good point, i'll include that in my argument

To expand on one point, the legal ramifications, I do not believe there is a law against parking a motorcycle in any parking spot. I was just pointing out that traffic laws must be adhered to in public parking garages.

Yea i get your point, it's private, and i can't find any laws stating what bike parking has to have...but im sure there's no law that certain types of vehicle have to park in certain spots think this guy is just arguing the bike spots are free so i have to be there....im arguing they're not bike spots because you paint a bike on...i'd like to tell the guy to piss off but since hes a manager..i'll try play nice...after that i'll bite i suppose :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
get a trike and see where he makes you park? his bike picture has only 2 wheels and the cars have 4 wheels so where do the 3 wheelers park. geez segregation

·
Registered
321 Posts
just tell him to buzz off... I'm sure there are plenty of spaces for everyone, he's just trying to be a doucher and pick on someone because he's bored and jealous because he probably drives a powder blue Prius instead of a sexy sportbike.. You'd be taking up the same space if you were driving a car, and you have bad knees and dont want to walk from the bike parking waaaaaaay over there.. once again :fyou::bootyshak to him

1 - 15 of 15 Posts