Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, everytime I have seen a police officer on a bike they are wearing short sleeve uniforms. Is there any reason for this? Seems a shame especially since they should be setting a good example.

·
Registered
760 Posts
depends on the weather. they usually wear the boots, thin pants, shirt, leather jacket, open face helmet and yellow work gloves. one of the main reasons i'll never put in for it.

when these officers crash, it's usually bad. i have a best friend who nearly lost his life when he crashed on an exit ramp.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
I noticed my officers in my town just wear their sleeveless button down shirt. Should i write to them explaining to them my concerns about thier saftey and setting a good example for younger ridiers?

·
Registered
760 Posts
shiftn3rdon1 said:
I noticed my officers in my town just wear their sleeveless button down shirt. Should i write to them explaining to them my concerns about thier saftey and setting a good example for younger ridiers?

knock yourself out. actually, walk up to them and express your concern, then let me know what happens.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, Do it, and make sure and post their response.
shiftn3rdon1 said:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Officers in hot, sunny south florida here in palm beach county wear short sleved shirt, thin normal long paints, open faced helmets, gloves.

F'ing squids.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hmr1 said:
yeah, Ive noticed that too. What suprises me the most is the helmets they wear. Usually just those soup bowl ones that only cover the top of the head.

They wear the "soup bowl" helmet because they do not want to have to take there helmet off at every traffic stop. If they left them on they would look a little storm troopperish.

Peace

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've thought about asking one of our motorcycle officers about their gear before, but never see them on my shift now. I understand the open face front helmet b/c of the microphone and being able to do you job without removing the helmet, but it also seems like you could get the same things from a flip face helmet and a chatterbox. Their boots seem adequate, pants are a bit thin, but I know plenty of us wear jeans, so that evens out. During cold days they wear jackets, but on hot, it's short sleeve here. I know they sit out in the sun all day radaring literally baking in the sun, but it seems like they could maybe get a light colored shirt with padded sleeves or something instead. I've seen them when they come in for the day, and they look very dehydrated and tired, so I know sitting in the sun is hard, but you still need to be protected.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
they also wear half helmets which I would think cost one of our female motorcycle cops her life last year.

she suffered severe head injuries.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Nevermind. I Reposted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
raiderbeast83 said:
I'm sure they have done research on what to wear.
This is true. Comfort is probably one of the concerns, but what officers choose to wear has to do with their job as a whole. They have to dress for more than just riding their motorcycles. It is a calculated risk they are willing to take if it means less risk to them when other life threatening situations arise. For instance, a light wieght, half-helmet will not provide as much protection as a full face helmet, but you wouldn't want to be wearing a full face helmet if you had to draw your gun to save your own life or someone else's. And that's just one situation of many that I'm sure motorcycle officers have encountered/reviewed for years and thus know how to best outfit themselves.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Around here, the State Troopers have BMW R1100's, and everytime I see them, they are wearing what looks like a Black Aerostitch Textile suit with "TROOPER" embroidered on the back of the suit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
+20

I can't think of a time that I have known a cop to set a good example?

Does anyone else know of a time?

blakrr said:
when have you known cops to set good examples??...they speed , dont signal, talk on phone, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts