Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if its a repost, I cant read every thread, I need time to ride also ;)

From MCN:

Bikers have been told to brace themselves for sharp increases in new motorcycle prices from 2009.
Experts and manufacturers say the cost of producing bikes is soaring thanks to rocketing steel and aluminium prices and higher shipping costs driven by oil prices.
The weakness of the pound against the Euro and a dip in consumer spending following the credit crunch are set to heap even more pressure on manufacturers to raise prices in order to sustain profit levels.
Aprilia UK said there would be “January price increases on most models”.
A Ducati UK spokesman said: "The main selling season has been and gone and obviously the credit crunch is going to now have an impact. Just look at the retail shops announcing drops in sales.” He said the scale of the increases would be revealed after November.
Geoff Selvidge, motorcycles manager for Yamaha UK, said it was "almost inevitable that Yamaha prices will rise in 2009". He said the firm would seek to "minimise the impact as much as possible".
A spokesman for the Retail Motor Industry Federation said prices rises would continue into 2010. “Bikes that are in the market now were built using materials that were bought last year,” he said. “This will probably filter through some time in the next year and the year after that."

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
just an excuse to raise prices. sorry, don't buy it.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
That is the British market and has nothing to do with the US market

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is the British market and has nothing to do with the US market
" Experts and manufacturers say the cost of producing bikes is soaring thanks to rocketing steel and aluminium prices and higher shipping costs driven by oil prices."

I hate to say it, but, its the US market as well. They we're using the UK market as an example. Oil prices(how do the motorcycles get here from Japan, by ship), the spike in the cost of aluminum and steel will all contribute to sharp price increase for 2009... the economy will play a part in it too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
well i guess its a good thing i got an 08 then....I was debating waiting for the 09 model.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
There will always be used bikes!!!! LOL.......
On another point, motorcycle parts are already high enough...And they want to rise the cost ever more......

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There will always be used bikes!!!! LOL.......
On another point, motorcycle parts are already high enough...And they want to rise the cost ever more......
Thats a very good point...if the cost of metal and oil has gone up to the point of raising motorcycle prices, parts must be going up too :bootyshak

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a quote on the subject from another forum:

"KTM has most of their '09 prices out, and every model jumped, from 7.5% to 17%!
Gonna make any 08 leftovers look like a bargain, especially if there aren't major changes for that particular model.

Alternately, you might not be able to buy an older bike at the usual discount once the dealers see the new prices."

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
The dealer told me street bike prices are going up by $1,000 and dirt bike prices are going up $500 next year. Maybe it's true.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer told me street bike prices are going up by $1,000 and dirt bike prices are going up $500 next year. Maybe it's true.
I can deal with a $1000 increase.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The prices may rise sharply but if the consumer slows their buying then guess what, the prices will come right back down! Supply and demand baby, supply and demand!

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's expected. Add up the factor that US dollar value also down a lot in the past 2 years.
Lucky for Canadian, never seen 600RR brand new under $10,000 except this year.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The prices may rise sharply but if the consumer slows their buying then guess what, the prices will come right back down! Supply and demand baby, supply and demand!

+1...... Unfortunately though, demand will remain high, there are a lot of diehard 600rrers out there, and sport bikers in general though that will think that the $1,000 increase is negligible ....... Overall demand will not decrease.

Manufacturers are smart that way, they know they can raise the price so high without losing customers and overall demand...... they will use what excuses they can to raise the price just enough to where they can make more money without losing customers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts