Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me desciption and rules for the different classes, i see so many different racing classes but not sure what they allow racers to do to the bikes and still race. MotoGP Superbike (SBK) the classes that Rossi is in, also Mladin Spies Hayden What type of mods are allowed in these classes and what other classes are out there? Whats the toughest class with the best guys? Any info is greatly appreciated! thxs yo!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wera and CCS have rule books posted on their websites as does AMA for superbike and supersport. The differences, as far as I can tell, between AMA and WERA/CCS are minimal for particular classes. I'd pm BigTuna. He races and pretty darn knowledgable. You could also contact Larry Dodson (not sure what his screen name but he rides a yellow R1 expert class #22.) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Larry is CCSEX122 on here. Very knowledge guy and friendly as well. As cyclescientific said, either him or BT would be able to explain any questions you have about getting into racing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
MotoGP is the top rung of the ladder. That is where Rossi and Nicky Hayden (to name riders you specifically asked about) and many other top-shelf riders are at.
These are prototype bikes, not based on anything you can buy. Engine displacement varies by number of cylinders as does minimum wieght, although next year the rules are changing.
The Superbike classes have rules that vary slightly by sanctioner. The World Superbike series is run on tracks around the world (except the USA) and is where you'll see riders like Bayliss, Corse, Toseland, Barros, etc.
The AMA superbike series is our local national series, run on courses around the country. This is where you'll find Mladin, Spies, DuHamel, Zemke and others that could walk all over the World Superbike regulars - like Hodgson, who won the World Superbike title in '03 (and the British Superbike title in '00), yet can't hang with the AMA regulars.
There are other national Superbike series in Canada, Britain, Australia, Japan, etc.
All Superbikes are based on retail models, currently 1000cc bikes. Modifications vary by sanctioning body, but for the most part as long as the original frame and engine cases are used most other parts can be changed/modified. There are also minimum weight limits.
Also in the AMA and other series you will find supersport and superstock classes. I'll just deal with the AMA here. The supersport class is based on 600cc retail motorcycles and the modifications are limited. You can change suspension, exhausts, fuel mapping (via a product like a PowerCommander), bodywork and little things like rearsets, but other than that not much.
The Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki factories run here, as does the Erion Honda - although the 600RR is not best suited for this class.
The World supersport series allows further modifications which the 600RR is suited for and it really shines there.
Same would hold true for the superstock bikes, only they are based on the 1000cc retail models. Other than the same list as supersport you aren't able to change from what is available OEM, which is why Yamaha built a special R1 with some trick OEM parts like the slipper clutch.
Again, no factory Honda, just the Erion effort. They are doing better this year with the new 1000RR, but still not really competitive.
Then in the AMA you'll find the formula extreme class. This is currently based off 600cc retail models, yet the modification rules are similar to superbike. There are minimum weight and displacement limits, but you can do pretty much anything else.
The Honda factory bikes used to dominate here, but now the factory team no longer pays there so they can focus on superbike. The Yamaha factory is in there, but no other factories. The Erion effort is still plenty competitive, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts