Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live at an apartment complex. I have to leave my motorcycle at the end of the parking spot near the sidewalk. I went to work today at 1pm. I get home at 930pm, and in utter fear i see my beautiful bike laying on its side of the sidewalk.:crying: A couple comes over almost immediately.. They told me they saw it on the ground around 2:30... so it had been laying on the ground on its side for 7 hours without anyone picking it up. They said they didnt want to be liable if something happened, which i can understand... but cmon its not good for a bike to lay on its side for 7 hours...

Luckily, i had the handlebars locked so my bar ends took most of the damage. The lower fairing had some minor scratches other than that. it looked fine. I was mainly worried about the engine.... I got the bike back up, i turned it on and it started right up... however, it was smoking quite a bit. The smoking stopped after a few mins and then it just smelled like burning oil...

I talked to my dad about this, he said oil probably got in the engine a little bit but nothing major and that it would naturally burn the oil that leaked in hence why it smoked for a bit.. but after that it should be fine. I didnt notice any leaks underneath the bike.

As for the theory of how it was knocked over.... Well, today was rather windy, but it would have to be pretty damn windy to knock over the bike... i make sure before i leave my bike to wiggle it to make sure its firmly standed, which it was. I also locked the handlebars too. I honestly think someone accidentally tapped it over with there car and took off.

What do you think?

Is there any long term problems mechanically i should be worried about for a bike being on its side for that long?

I was freaking out. The bike is in beautiful condition and i just bought it a few weeks ago... its very frustrating this happened right after i buy it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Or if you have view on your bike from your appartment, film it from there. It's what I do.
Your bike should be fine though. Like your dad said, gotta burn off some of that oil, but should be ok.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Bike should be fine but remember whatever oil is being burned off is missing in the motor.

Be sure to check it.

You may also find some oil in the airbox as well. If you have the means, I'd check there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike should be fine but remember whatever oil is being burned off is missing in the motor.

Be sure to check it.

You may also find some oil in the airbox as well. If you have the means, I'd check there too.
Thanks for your comments guys.

Do you think i should replace the air filter and spark plugs? I might replace the air filter anyway because i wanted to get a K&N one anyway

·
Registered
157 Posts
Man I would be PISSED if this happened to me! I can only imagine the horror you felt seeing your baby on the ground like that. Like finding your dog run over in the street. Sounds like a perfect time to swap plugs and replace that air filter.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Thanks for your comments guys.

Do you think i should replace the air filter and spark plugs? I might replace the air filter anyway because i wanted to get a K&N one anyway
Not unless it needs it. Take a look first, see how the bike runs, it should be just fine as long as it wasn't upside down.

Personally I would not do a K&N but thats me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I would be PISSED if this happened to me! I can only imagine the horror you felt seeing your baby on the ground like that. Like finding your dog run over in the street. Sounds like a perfect time to swap plugs and replace that air filter.
Not unless it needs it. Take a look first, see how the bike runs, it should be just fine as long as it wasn't upside down.

Personally I would not do a K&N but thats me.
@ViperDad, ohhh I was pissed. I probably said the "F" word 10 times. This bike everything to me.. talk about a gut wrench feeling. :crying:
@Miweber929, Why do you not recommend a K&N filter?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Why do you not recommend a K&N filter?
Do some searching on here for info.

K&N is fine, but passes more dirt than OEM and while you can clean and reoil it doesn't do much but lean the mixture of an already lean running bike. There are also reports, and I have experienced this myself, that they don't seal as well in the airbox as OEM does. Lot's of hype, not a lot of truth.

OEM: replace it for $40 every other year and you're done. Flows fine, cleans fine, seals fine. No brainer.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds like you live on the East Coast homie lol. If so, it was windy as heck (gusts of 40-50mph). The wind could have easily knocked it over depending on how upright the bike was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you live on the East Coast homie lol. If so, it was windy as heck (gusts of 40-50mph). The wind could have easily knocked it over depending on how upright the bike was.
You are correct sir. I live in New York, ive owned bikes for 3 years but never had it knocked over by the wind. On Saturday the wind was pretty bad and we had wind advisory warnings, i just didnt think it was possible in this area.

I looked at the weather forecast and we had wind gusts that day up to 41mph.

Also, i talked to the landlord and she said a tenant called and said they saw it tipped over and believed it to be the wind.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Damn that wind!!!!

At least its something minor. It won't have any issues since it fell while the engine was off and the bike not moving. Other than a few scratches and your peace of mind being shaken, you're all good man.

If you can afford one of those small camera surveillance systems, then invest in one if you leave your bike outside for extended hours. They sell a few different kinds that have an app on your phone where you can view your bike anytime (parents use them to watch kids at home). Should be pretty cheap, like $100-200 including the camera. Although the camera has to be installed in your apartment or patio, and we don't know if yours is directly in front of where you park the bike. (because it uses an internet connection)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the bike looked over at the dealership, they said everything checked out fine, 80$ later, but totally worth it for my own peace of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could have just asked them to change the spark plugs for about the same price, and then they would have told you if they found any problems (and the spark plugs would be new too).

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
Get a rear stand for it. I don't trust kick stands much lol so every time I park at home it goes on stands. Much more stable.

When I lived in an apartment complex I had a little cbr250r (loved that bike) and it was small enough to to fit through my door and come into my kitchen thought the back...so that's where I started parking it after some people attempted to steal it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
They said they didnt want to be liable if something happened, which i can understand... but cmon its not good for a bike to lay on its side for 7 hours...
I cannot blame them one bit for doing that. To be honest this world is full of so many assholes trying to sue everyone for any reason they can. As much as it would kill me to see a beautiful bike laying there on the ground, I don't know if I would touch it. I'd definitely go into the building and ask who's bike that is and try to get the owner asap. But as for touching it, idk man, you just never know. Not even just legal issues but some bikers get funny when people touch their bike, even if its just helping.. This is more notable with the harley crowd. My dad told me his friend beat a guy up just for picking his bike off the ground for him when some car hit it. kinda stupid if you ask me.

·
Registered
874 Posts
@Miweber929, Why do you not recommend a K&N filter?
I'm going to weigh in here really quick. I bought a K&N air filter and have had no problems at all. That being said, I've also had no improvements as well. In my opinion it's a good filter and I think most of that "passing dirt" stuff is just bro-science. But so isn't the "performance gains" as well.

I would only buy one if you would prefer to not have to buy a new air filter every other year and would rather just get the k&n and just re-oil it every other year instead. That's why I did it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Should have left the bike standing up for a good few minutes to let everything drain before firing it up, otherwise lying on its side doesn't hurt anything.
I don't know about RR's, but the K&N I bought for my F4i didn't make me feel good and I never installed it. OEM filters have flaps to direct incoming air, the K&N is just a plain flat element. Figured it wouldn't be good for low end torque.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts