Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a bike I can ride 3 miles to/from work everyday and maybe the occasional mountain biking. I've never really done any mountain biking, but I'd rather this style over a road bike, so I have the opportunity to get into it a bit if I chose. I'd like to stay under $250 since this is just a starter bike and like I said, just basically want to ride to/from work everyday.

Now I don't know much, but I do know that I like disc brakes. If you have a strong argument against them please let me hear it. Here's the three bikes I'm currently debating between. By the way, I'm about 6'1" 175lbs.

#1 TREK
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/3203819105.html

#2 I fail. Bike is sold

#3 Kona $225
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/3204632839.html
Kona "The World Outside". Aluminum frame. Disc brakes, Marzucchi forks, 20 in frame. In great condition.

Lets hear which bike is the best purchase and why!
Thanks
-Brian

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
if TheX pokes his head in here pay attention to what hes got to say. apparently hes a big mountain biker. I like the sport but i always just bummed one of my buddys bikes when i went and have no clue about brands / quality.

Oh and what part of denver are you in? Riding in washington Park is awesome, the views are great if you get what im saying.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if TheX pokes his head in here pay attention to what hes got to say. apparently hes a big mountain biker. I like the sport but i always just bummed one of my buddys bikes when i went and have no clue about brands / quality.

Oh and what part of denver are you in? Riding in washington Park is awesome, the views are great if you get what im saying.

I live in Centennial, so I'm a bit south of Wash Park. There are quite a few good views of all sorts of mountains around though! haha

The kOna would be my first pick
Why is that? I've actually never heard of that brand before, so my dumbness would have guess that'd be third choice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
p.s. I just rechecked and it looks like the first 2 links are dead. FML this thread just failed epically

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I live in Centennial, so I'm a bit south of Wash Park. There are quite a few good views of all sorts of mountains around though! haha

Why is that? I've actually never heard of that brand before, so my dumbness would have guess that'd be third choice.
true that. chatfield is an awesome place to ride too, i used to go there all the time.
i miss colorado :(

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
treks are solid bikes.... I personally dont like konas but lots of ppl love them.... Iornhorse isnt around any more but they made some pretty good bikes... out of the three you had posted i would have went with the trek..

with what you said you should be good with any thing above a walmart bike... any entry level xc bike will do the trick.. I know KHS and Marin make very good bikes that dont carry as large of a "brand name tax" as say speculized bikes do..

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
just saw the links work.. get the trek if it in good condition!

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
I had a Trek 4300 and it is pretty good price. A little on the heavier side, but not bad. Did good on road and on hilly terrain.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Can't go wrong with either, although I love my Giant Talon 29er!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
do not buy a trashed bike,it will cost you more in the long run.

A more real budget for a serviceable used, good quality bike would be $500+.

any good Aluminum/steel frame will do, watchout for low priced cf stuff in mountain bikes.....probably crashed/cracked/repaired.

get a hardtail, and check the front suspension for wear

at your size /weight you need good quality wheels if you want to go off road unless your trails there are smooth.

A good bike isn't cheap, but it takes a long time to use it up. It is $ well spent,and if you shop around you will find bargains.

good luck!

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
do not buy a trashed bike,it will cost you more in the long run.

A more real budget for a serviceable used, good quality bike would be $500+.

any good Aluminum/steel frame will do, watchout for low priced cf stuff in mountain bikes.....probably crashed/cracked/repaired.

get a hardtail, and check the front suspension for wear

at your size /weight you need good quality wheels if you want to go off road unless your trails there are smooth.

A good bike isn't cheap, but it takes a long time to use it up. It is $ well spent,and if you shop around you will find bargains.

good luck!
:+1:

my first bike was a rockhopper... went though 2 wheel sets, a set of cranks, multiple seats and had the fork rebuilt 3 times in less then 2 months. And that was a decent $500 starter bike! every bike since had doubled in price but I have had to replace less and less... I can go off cliffs on my two current bikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts