Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted a few days ago asking about financing, and I've pretty much decided i'm just going to wait until winter to get a 600rr, pay cash for a used one when they're cheaper. Anyway, this isn't really pertainging to that. I've been riding about 4 months now (all this season), and i'm learning quite a bit still but I htikn i may be moving too fast. Today was my first day practicing proper turning technique (leaning in, getting off the seat, riding on the balls of feet, etc). I went slower through the roads I usually ride swwing as how i wan't comfortable with that style of riding yet. Eventually It become more comfortable and I love loving every second of it. I know I shoudl take it to the track but I can't help myself. I was wondering if you guys think i'm trying to progress too quickly, or how long it took for you all to get comfortable and start doign trackdays or riding hard. I'd liek to thikn i'm a fairly good rider, I'm still a little weary of the front brake (I went down about a month after i started riding form grabbign the front too hard). But other than that i'm comfortable. I'm planning on taking the DMV test comming up here in a little bit when i get some time off of work and am well rested (closing 5- nights a week > me). Anywho, just looking for input. BTW I'm riding a '99 ex250.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
the learning process is different for everyone. the time it takes one rider to learn how to ride isn't neccessarly how long it would take another rider. the important thing is that you feel comforatable with your progress. as long as you don't feel over your head and out of control, i would say you're going along just fine.

also remember that trackdays aren't always for taking it hard. it's a good resource for learning more about you and your motorcycle in a controlled environment. yes, some riders ride hard at trackdays, but some riders don't. there is a reason why they divide the riders up into different levels. just because a rider is in the begining level doesn't neccessarly mean they are just starting out. they may just want to take it easy and work on a particular part of their riding...

if you feel ready to go to a trackday, then sign up! you'll have a blast. just remember, it's not a race. you don't have to feel like you have to ride fast... it's a controlled environment where you can have a chance to improve your riding skills with out having to worry about crap like cars, debris, wild life, and other various thing in the road...

·
Registered
892 Posts
if you have to ask, slow down. it's different for everyone, but you go as fast as you want to. remember, if there is a patch of rocks or a car stopped around a blind turn, do you know how to exit properly.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
yeah..if u think ur going too fast, slow down...
just have fun out there... and be careful and ride within ur limits...

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
TAKE THE MSF SAFETY COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh... no seriously, take it... I took it in march this year and it was the first time i'd been on a bike more than 10 minutes. let me tell ya, it teachs you a hole bunch of stuff you'd have to learn the hard way. I bought the RR the week after I took the class, and, while it's a LOT of bike, it's not too much if you respect it and what riding over your head can lead to. Just take it slow and you'll be burning up the twisties in no time!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
4 months of riding only? I wouldnt be trying to do one-cheek hanging off just yet. Sounds like you've just gotten proficient at the basics and are looking for more...instead go back and practice the basics LOTS more.

how many miles has it been in those 4 months anyway?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
If you're hanging off the seat on the street at 4 months, you're doing too much, too quick.

Save the deep (knee-down, seat-slidin') turns for the track.

Half the learning curve is developing the skill to avoid the idiotic cagers that plague the streets. Spend more time doing actual street riding than trying to hone your track skills

·
Registered
595 Posts
I slide my butt off the seat around most turns while on the street. i figure that when tires aren't warmed yet, it would be unwise to go leaning full tilt.

Are you doing the speed limit when you are "pushing it" or are you beyond the speed limit? How many miles do you have on your bike? While 4 months isn't long, it isn't too early to learn body steering, positioning. Trying to drag knee is something else all together.

·
Registered
349 Posts
unless its a really sharp curve, isn't it hard to get much lean doing the speed limit? id say he has to be exceeding it. one thing i don't do is take turns that ive never been around with any kind of aggression. i usually ride rodes several times before i get funky with em....just be careful, if you feel safe while your doing what you are doing, you probably are. just don't ride with a bunch of people who have been riding longer than you and try and keep up with them....thats how most accidents happen for less experienced riders...

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
If you're comfortable with what you're doing then it's not too soon...back when I was a squid I was ripping wheelies after a month and a half of riding...well not ripping...but you know, doing them. I mean, some people can just get on a bike and ride it...some people take it slower. So if you feel comfortable riding how you're riding, then it's not too soon. If you feel uncomfortable or in over your head then stop and relax...also take the MSF as soon as you can. I've been riding...since last June...so 13 months (minus 5 months for winter)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm at about 1000 miles righ tnow. The roads i'm riding on i do pretty much every day and i'd say i have ridden 15+ times. I know where the gravel spots are and where bumps are and whatnot. I was jus tkind of curious as to how fast you all progressed. I felt about 85% comfortable with it, the first time you start getting off the seat is always somewhat uncomfortable from what I've read/seen. I am in no way even attempting to drag knee. While it's a nice thought, i know theres no sense in it (thought i did drag toe about a month ago by accident...that was when i first decided i should start getting off the seat, and until now i'd just been guessing as far a technique goes). Thanks for all the input guys =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts