Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its that time to get my bike out of my parents garage and bring back to my place at school. I have a large covered patio id like to keep it under but the problem is the patio is 5 steps up. how hard will it be to get bike up and down stairs a few times a week? should i make some ramp out of wood? i have a sheet of plywood lying around, how about that? I dont have the $$ do buy an actual ramp right now... heres a pic of what im dealing with.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
build a 12" wide ramp out of lumber. i would build a set of stairs and flip it around so that the actual steps sit in the steps of the cement ones. kinda hard to describe what im talking about but im sure some one will explain it better or have a better idea. you have to use really thick wood though. if not the tires will go right through.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
thats overkill, but i know what ur talking bout,^

im sure you could easily do something with wood.. my friend unloaded his r6 from a lifted truck with just some plywood doubled up.. just make sur its thick enough to hold the weight .

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
thats overkill, but i know what ur talking bout,^

im sure you could easily do something with wood.. my friend unloaded his r6 from a lifted truck with just some plywood doubled up.. just make sur its thick enough to hold the weight .
yeah i know. lol, im just thinking of something really sturdy. thats all.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
the plywood will probably break

you could even use 5 bricks or little blocks to put in each step to make it into about 10 little steps instead of the 5 steep ones you have now and the bike will be able to climb it fine... dunno if it would be cheaper than making a ramp

plus you can just pick up the bricks and put them away without taking up as much space as a ramp

i ended up doing something like this at one of my friend's apartment and went up about 10 steps lol
but it works

·
Registered
142 Posts
a small piece of plywood would work fine as long as it contacted every step to distibute the load evenly. Thos steps look shallow enough to do that too. And a 4' wide piece would be easy enough to ride right up and down. Sheet of ply would is cheap too, you would just have to have a way of keeping if from moving as you brought the bike down it. Of cours if the breakover angle is too much (meaning you would scratch the belly) then you couldnt do it anyway.

·
Registered
412 Posts
He's right, 5 bricks tucked into the corner of the steps would basically turn that staircase into a bumpy ramp.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you don't want a full ramp, make 5 triangles out of a 2x4 as tall as the steps with a diagonal cut, and a piece of plywood screwed into the top. 1/2 or 3/4 inch should be fine. Easily movable as well

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the ideas! im getting the bike on friday but just want to have something built by then because its going to rain Saturday.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You could always try this...

...:crackup:

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
697 Posts
A couple of 2x4s angled at one end to sit flush on the ground can be screwed into a 12-18 inch wide piece of plywood. The easiest/safest way to get it up by yourself is to let the bike do the work. Riding it up could work fine, but due to the weight I just drive it up the ramp while standing next to it. I do this all the time to put my bike in my living room. My patio has concrete steps too :)

If you make this ramp about 5' long and cut it in the middle, you can put in a couple of hinges and have a nice folding ramp that's easy to store. Just make sure you put the hinges on the 2x4s so it folds the right way...don't wanna ride up it and have it buckle lol

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yep 2x12 works great. One of the houses I lived at in Tahoe had 6 or 7 steps and I use to put my bike in the living room during the winter. 2x12 worked great. They sell the metal ends at Lowes that bolt onto the end of the 2x12.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts