Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was a hell of a season, did something like 20+ track days, didn't get any injuries, only put the bike down a couple of times, nothing other than cosmetic damage, so all and all it was a great season.

However, with the season over i have decided to move on in regards to motorcycles, I am going to be passing the RR along to anyone who wants a great bike to get on the track with...

It has been a great bike and I learned the track on it but now its time to step up my game, and after running into last weekends problem looking for a simple part for over an hour. I have decided to go to Yamaha or Suzuki. NOT because I feel that they are SO much better but the fact that Honda's are a rare bread around the track and it seems like no one has anything for them unless you bring it with you (parts). If I upgraded the suspension, alone this would let me hang with any other bike out there but I think its time in my development to move to something that is Purpose built.

With that said here are my choices:

07-09 YZF-R6
07/08 Suzuki 750

Thoughts???

My main choice is the R6, just got to wait for the right one to come along that I can afford!

Anyway here is a pic of my bike, that will be for sale shortly!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think its time in my development to move to something that is Purpose built.

With that said here are my choices:

07-09 YZF-R6
07/08 Suzuki 750
are 600rr's not very track orientated?

I always thought that honda was supposed to be one of the better handling bikes on the track, but I have heard alot of people saying other wise lately.

I love my RR and i couldn't imgine being able to push any of the other bikes i have ridden as hard (granted i never tried cause they weren't mine).

oh, and as far as thoughts on R6 vs. GSX-R 750, i have heard very good things about both. (I haven't ridden a newer r6 though, just the GSX-R), if you are not racing and can find one for a good price i would go with the 750, the extra grunt is always nice. but if your racing it will just put you up against people that also have the extra HP so it won't be an advantage (maybe a disadvantage while you are still learning to put it to use)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
are 600rr's not very track orientated?

I always thought that honda was supposed to be one of the better handling bikes on the track, but I have heard alot of people saying other wise lately.

I love my RR and i couldn't imgine being able to push any of the other bikes i have ridden as hard (granted i never tried cause they weren't mine).

oh, and as far as thoughts on R6 vs. GSX-R 750, i have heard very good things about both. (I haven't ridden a newer r6 though, just the GSX-R), if you are not racing and can find one for a good price i would go with the 750, the extra grunt is always nice. but if your racing it will just put you up against people that also have the extra HP so it won't be an advantage (maybe a disadvantage while you are still learning to put it to use)
They are, it's just that Suzuki sells more bikes than honda does, and when it comes to trackdays, the sales filter over. there's a lot that goes into it, but suzuki's are at the tracks more than hondas. that's just how it is.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am not going to race. I will get my license so if I ever get a wild hair, and I might do a race or two but not a serious thing.

As for the handling, as put on a different site I am on, "the RR is like a butter knife on the track where the r6 is like a scalpel" and its the truth, now compound that even further when you put cartridges in and an after market shock. But others will say its 95% rider 5% bike which I agree with, however at the same time, i am at the edge of that 5%.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
Yeah, I am not going to race. I will get my license so if I ever get a wild hair, and I might do a race or two but not a serious thing.

As for the handling, as put on a different site I am on, "the RR is like a butter knife on the track where the r6 is like a scalpel" and its the truth, now compound that even further when you put cartridges in and an after market shock. But others will say its 95% rider 5% bike which I agree with, however at the same time, i am at the edge of that 5%.
The R6 is a sharp handling bike but it forces you to ride at your 100% best or the lap times will not be there. The motor is high strung and you constantly have to be on the pipe or you'll lose drive out of corners and other bikes will pass you.

To be honest you aren't at the edge of the 5% of any modern sportbike unless you're on top of the podium in a national series. I know a few AMA riders and they'll tell you that there are maybe 40 or 50 people in the whole world that can ride a sportbike to it's limit. Most likely, you aren't one of them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The R6 is a sharp handling bike but it forces you to ride at your 100% best or the lap times will not be there. The motor is high strung and you constantly have to be on the pipe or you'll lose drive out of corners and other bikes will pass you.

To be honest you aren't at the edge of the 5% of any modern sportbike unless you're on top of the podium in a national series. I know a few AMA riders and they'll tell you that there are maybe 40 or 50 people in the whole world that can ride a sportbike to it's limit. Most likely, you aren't one of them.

so true, like i said in my first post, my biggest beef is the lack of support for hondas around the track, and the general cost for parts are far higher than other bikes (gixxer/r6)

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
so true, like i said in my first post, my biggest beef is the lack of support for hondas around the track, and the general cost for parts are far higher than other bikes (gixxer/r6)
Oh definitely, the WERA board over the winter is great for finding parts deals for Zuks and Yamahas but not so much for the Hondas.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have thought about an 07-09 with suspension upgrades, but then I am back to the same thing, no support.

I got a vortex fairing stay at my last track day, brand new, for 40 bucks because he had it in the parts trailer for the whole year and couldn't sell it, said it was because "no one has a honda" and he wasn't trying to be funny! There are plenty of them out there, hondas, at the track but when it comes to parts and peoples general knowledge it seems people know more about the yammi and suzuki's.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Gixxers= stunters/posers= so many parts for sale

Yamaha=Race wannabes crashing = extra parts for sale

Honda=Posers who baby their bike= High resale value on parts/bike <---so stupid

·
Registered
537 Posts
Its hard to detect sarcasm in text, but in case you were serious.

you want to talk about lack of support watch this...

http://www.buell.com/en_us/company/
Partial sarcasm and partial seriousness.
Yes, HD has decided not to carry Mr. Buell's line anymore but they will honor all warranties and there is still a surplus of parts available for the entire lineup. It's really not all that much different than Honda revamping a model line every 4 years. Honda doesn't make the 600F series anymore, right?

The difference is the engine is made by Rotax who is still in business. So I don't think lack of support will be an issue over the next 4yrs. After that, you'll probably run into the same issues as any other model that gets revamped. I understand that the Buells were not produced in the same mass quantities as the big four Japanese.

Even still I'd be willing to bet you get better service with the Buell than from any other "non-japanese" bike (AKA Ducati, Aprilia, and KTM)

I'm actually considering an 1125R myself at the moment.
: )

Word...

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Oh definitely, the WERA board over the winter is great for finding parts deals for Zuks and Yamahas but not so much for the Hondas.
:+1::iamwith::drunk:

this is very true. i just surfed the classified section on wera this morning.
i only saw 2 handfuls of RR parts compared to a bucket full for the r6/gixxers.:drunk:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Post up as you go mate. It'll make for interesting reads how your personal experiences react to all the hype.

It's been a couple years since I rode anything newer, I can say though that I really didn't care for the "feel" or the seating arrangment on the other bikes. All the guys I know around here favor suzy's because parts are easily available and they are easier to wrench. I usually counter with a simple 'You don't have to wrench on hondas due to build quality'. Not been proven wrong yet...but the honda's are a bit more complicated. ;-)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts