Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to LA on 8/14. I have my NY permit. I was going to take the MSF course in NY, but once I found myself moving I figured I will get it done out there. So where do I start to register for an MSF course? I've been to this website: and it's proven to be pretty much worthless. No schedules are listed and nobody answers when you call the number. I'm starting to get frustrated!!


2,123 Posts
umm do a search on google for it. this is what it came up with. have u tried this number? i'm in mass so dont really know anything about LA...
California Motorcyclist Safety Program
(877) 743-3411

1,923 Posts
Straight from the CA DMV website:

How to apply for a motorcycle or moped driver license if you are over 18

There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.

With a Class M1, you can operate any 2-wheel motorcycle and any motorized vehicle in Class M2.
With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor.
Refer to the Motorcycle Driver Handbook for more information.

To apply for a motorcycle Class M1 or M2 permit, you will need to:

Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Pay a $25 application fee
Pass a vision exam
Pass a traffic laws and signs test. You have three chances to pass the test.
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.

After studying both the California Driver and the Motorcycle Handbooks, call your local DMV to schedule your appointment for the traffic laws and sign test.

After completing the requirements, you will be issued an instruction permit to allow you to practice driving a motorcycle. You may not drive at night, on the freeway, or have any passengers with you.

To apply for your motorcycle Class M1 or M2 license, you must do one of the following:

If you are under 21, you must complete a motorcycle rider training course given by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and provide a certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) to DMV to be issued your license. You will not be required to take the motorcycle driving test at DMV if you currently have a California Drivers License.

If you are over 21, you may either choose to complete the course by CHP and provide the certificate OR schedule an appointment at DMV to take the driving test. You have three chances to pass the test.
For information about the CHP training course, please call 1-877-743-3411 or visit

After you have submitted your CHP certificate or passed your driving test, you will be issued an interim license valid for 60 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Double check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your license after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check on the status. Have your interim license with you to provide information when requested.

1,923 Posts
Have you tried calling the number for the specific location you are interested in instead of the 877 #?

ALAMEDA (800) 966-3844 Alameda County
ANTIOCH (925) 625-6104 Contra Costa County
APTOS (831) 479-6134 Santa Cruz County
ATWATER (559) 299-6347 Merced County
BARSTOW (760) 373-7011 San Bernardino County
CAMARILLO (805) 389-5303 Ventura County
CATHEDRAL CITY (760) 574-9169 Riverside County
CHINA LAKE (800) 593-7909 Kern County
CLOVERDALE (707) 575-9154 Sonoma County
COLTON (909) 430-3000 San Bernardino County
CORONA (951) 736-8179 Riverside County
COSTA MESA (877) 651-9132 Orange County
EL CENTRO (760) 355-6220 Imperial County
EUREKA (707) 575-9154 Humboldt County
FRESNO (559) 299-6347 Fresno County
GILROY (408) 847-2514 Santa Clara County
MARYSVILLE (530) 741-6825 Yuba County
MATHER (800) 825-7262 Sacramento County
MISSION VIEJO (949) 631-6337 Orange County
MODESTO (209) 575-6063 Stanislaus County
MOUNTAIN VIEW (650) 940-1333 Santa Clara County
NEWARK (510) 784-8978 Alameda County
NOVATO (707) 575-9154 Marin County
NORTH HIGHLANDS (916) 286-3845 Sacramento County
NORWALK (562) 467-5050 Los Angeles County
PALMDALE (800) 593-7909 Los Angeles County
PASO ROBLES (805) 461-3285 San Luis Obispo County
PETALUMA (707) 888-6268 Sonoma County
RED BLUFF (530) 244-0505 Tehama County
ROCKLIN (916) 781-0590 Placer County
SACRAMENTO (800) 825-7262 Sacramento County
SALINAS (800) 799-8088 Monterey County
SAN BERNARDINO (909) 792-6213 San Bernardino County
SAN DIEGO (760) 891-7625 North County
SAN DIEGO (858) 621-2313 South County
SAN JOSE (800) 825-7262 Santa Clara County
SAN MARCOS (760) 891-7625 San Diego County
SAN FRANCISCO (650) 873-4700 San Francisco County
SANTA CLARITA VALLEY (800) 593-7909 Los Angeles County
SAN MATEO (707) 888-6268 San Mateo County
SANTA CLARA (800) 799-8088 Santa Clara County
SANTA MARIA (805) 461-3285 Santa Barbara County
SANTA ROSA (707) 537-9860 Sonoma County
SIMI VALLEY (805) 389-5303 Ventura County
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO (650) 635-0688 San Mateo County
STOCKTON (559) 299-6347 San Joaquin County
VALLEJO (650) 873-4700 Solano County
VALLEY VILLAGE (818) 932-0433 Los Angeles County
VISALIA (559) 299-6347 Tulare County
WALNUT (909) 594-5611 Los Angeles County
WOODLAND ADULT EDUCATION (530) 662-0798 Yolo County

277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've come across all that information guys. Thanks for the links though!! If worse comes to worst, I'll just sign up for the riding test myself when I go to change my regular driver's license. I put in an email to the place closest to me for the MSF. We'll see what they get back to me with.


I happen to be relocating from we're fellow CNY folk. LOL!! You should let me know if you ever are gonna make it out to LA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts