Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am moving from MN to AZ and I am thinking of transporting my bike in a uhaul trailer along with some other things like my bed and a few boxes. I hope a 5x8 trailer will be big enough. If not I could go to the 5x10 or 6x12

anyone have any suggestions?

What about draining the gas and other fluids before I go?

D

·
0 Posts
A 5x8 should work. I'd go with a 5x10 just to be safe, unless you feel like piling boxes on top of the bike. Just drain the gas from the bike and you should be fine, but you don't even have to drain it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i did a move in a 5x8 from MN to CA not long ago and fit all my stuff in there. I didnt do anything with the bike at all.. Just wrap it in some good blankets to keep boxes from rubbing the paint off, which is what happened to my exhaust.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Go with a 6x12. You can never have enough space. As far as draining it, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe go with 1/4 of a tank. I just rented a 26 footer and that was barely enough for me. Then again, I'm an overkilling pack rat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah all I plan on putting in the trailer is the bike and a Queen size mattress and box spring as well as a few random boxes. So hopefully the 5x8 works, but if not I can always upgrade it.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
159 Posts
is it possible to strap the bike safely in the uhaul since i doubt you'll just park the bike inside? just wondering since i might have to move in the near future.

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
Where In Az are you coming to ? make sure you contact me when you get here so we can ride..
Good luck
Stephen

Alright, I am moving from MN to AZ and I am thinking of transporting my bike in a uhaul trailer along with some other things like my bed and a few boxes. I hope a 5x8 trailer will be big enough. If not I could go to the 5x10 or 6x12

anyone have any suggestions?

What about draining the gas and other fluids before I go?

·
Registered
228 Posts
i did a move in a 5x8 from MN to CA not long ago and fit all my stuff in there. I didnt do anything with the bike at all.. Just wrap it in some good blankets to keep boxes from rubbing the paint off, which is what happened to my exhaust.
+1. I moved from GA to MN and had my bike in the uhaul, just strap it down good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
is it possible to strap the bike safely in the uhaul since i doubt you'll just park the bike inside? just wondering since i might have to move in the near future.
yep they have strap-down rings in each corner, but they dont recommend it for bikes. Mostly because they had some big harleys and goldwings tip over. Mine did just fine. Bubble/air bags work wonderfully as cushion as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have a recommended method of securing the bike in the truck? I got a 10 foot truck for my trek to Houston, TX.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I would recommend using a company other than U-Haul if possible. U-Haul is notorious for having unsafe vehicles that are mostly death traps, especially if you're going from state to state. The local U-Haul knows they're not going to get the truck back so they usually give you the worst truck on the lot.

I'm not sure which company's would let you take the truck over state lines but there are many other safer company's to use like Budget, Discount, Dollar, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts