Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be doing oulton park 27th of February and will be my first time in inters. I know it's the right thing to do as I'm running right up the front in novice group now and doing a lot of overtaking plus others are slowing me down.
But doesn't stop me feeling nervous though. But I am also excited as I'll get quicker and get to follow quicker riders.
So what's others experience of going up a group? Good or has it been a step too far?

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's going to be nerve racking but don't sweat it. There is usually alot of people who should be in novice who are intermediate.

The only thing to remember is regardless of group: be consistent. Follow lines, don't be all over the place. Be predictable.

The people who are faster will pass you and it's no sweat if they know what you are going to do.

When they pass you try to keep up to them for 1 or 2 corners and slowly progress. DON'T TRY TO GO ALL OUT RIGHT AWAY.

Have fun!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ahhhh, the "B" group. Its the best and the worst. You now will have freedom to really ride hard if you want. You can really progress you skills here. On the flip side, its a mad house. You have people like yourself just out of C group and people fast enough to go to A group, so it really spans the ability's. Its ok to be worried, thats normal. But relax, its FUN!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't wait really. But the mind always has a way to set that doubt in. I even text my mate saying maybe I should of gone in the novice. Lol but he said you belong in inters so trust his judgement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You have now made it into the "Surv-I-ver Group" and if you live to tell about it, oneday you will be blessed enough to make it out of the "most dangerous place on earth" into the Expert/Advanced Group. You will be part of the danger or trying to avoid the danger.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must admit at croft circuit near me the fast group are nut cases. Lads up my way are lunatics. I've seen lads who have travelled up gone home because it's so bad. Lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is nothing to worry about. Both groups are a mixed bag and only different on average. When I was in novice I used to start at the top of the group to avoid the very slow riders or else I was stuck in traffic. Then when I moved to advanced I started in the middle of the group and the pace felt comfortable.

In retrospect I waited to move for too long. Riding in a slower group can be more dangerous than in advanced because you have to overtake more, there are more bikes packed together, riders are unpredictable, you can get mad (ala sitting in traffic), etc. Also your lines and skills won't progress if you don't have better riders to follow. Move on and enjoy the time and money you invested in your progress.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've invested a lot in a very good bike this year so got no excuses and shouldn't have any reliability issues.
My rsv Mille had terrible unpredictable clutch slip which is one reason I stayed in novice last year.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like others are saying, be predictable. Grab a coach and have them lead a couple laps and then let them follow. At STT, the coaches are great and really do their best to help you with your riding.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Like others are saying, be predictable. Grab a coach and have them lead a couple laps and then let them follow. At STT, the coaches are great and really do their best to help you with your riding.
Thank you for the compliment. Every single coach that we have on staff with STT are hard-working coaches who enjoy working with riders to help them improve.......we all love what we are doing!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just go at your own pace and learn at your own pace. Don't compare yourself with others and to their progress - everyone goes at it differently. I don't have track experience on the bike, but when I used to regularly take a car to HPDE's, I gained some helpful knowledge there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
also since we are praising the instructors, once you move up they can actually help you out more. you can pass and they know you have an idea of what you are doing.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Moving up is exciting, and can be a little challenging as well. There will be riders going faster than you, so be prepared to get passed. No big deal though. Just go on your own pace and work on your own skills.

It will be fun seeing better/faster riders that you can try to keep up with. Just don't push yourself too far. There will be a few slower riders too, but not many.

Depending on the rules of the track organization and instructors, but you might have more freedom how you pass other riders. For example, with the group I used to do trackdays with, in Beginner group you can only pass slower riders on the outside. In Group B/Intermediate you can pass both on the inside and outside. This presents you with different opportunities to try different race lines. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had an awesome day
In inters. Got passed a lot but I also passed other riders so I'd say I did well and pleased I made the progression. I did come off though but was out again the next session. Just fairing damage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah I've invested a lot in a very good bike this year so got no excuses and shouldn't have any reliability issues.
My rsv Mille had terrible unpredictable clutch slip which is one reason I stayed in novice last year.

I hope nothing major with the bike. Now, what cause the accident? It is time to review, remember, learn!

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The corner had a double apex and I was trying a line I'd seen faster guys using on the entry to the first apex but realised it was wrong and stood the bike up and into the grass/gravel. Managed to scrub a lot of speed off before I hit the grass though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The corner had a double apex and I was trying a line I'd seen faster guys using on the entry to the first apex but realised it was wrong and stood the bike up and into the grass/gravel. Managed to scrub a lot of speed off before I hit the grass though.

Sounds like Druids under the trees, it is a double apex and an extremely fast corner, some people ignore the first apex and just make sure you hit the second..

For me its flat out in 4th gear, my braking marker is the rev limiter in fourth then braking to the middle of the two apex's, although i wouldn't be doing that in the conditions you were riding in on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts